Q. I developed breakouts after switching to low-dose Estrogen pills. What to do?

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Laul

I have been using Minerva-35 for years. I have melasma on my face, and my laser technician advised me to switch to a lower dose Estrogen pill to help fade the pigmentation. I switched to Mirelle, and I have been using it for four months. I have never struggled with breakouts, but now I have congested skin around my chin, and I get many underground pimples. I am getting married in a few months, and I am scared that my skin will still look this way. My lifestyle is relatively healthy and active, and I pay attention to my skincare. Should I switch back to Minerva?

#

There is no attached photograph in your message. Kindly send a picture of the affected area to help you better. I need to see the affected area to assess the condition and to suggest appropriate diagnosis and treatment.

Here is a photo of the breakout around my chin. As I said, I have never struggled with breakouts. I think I used Minerva for about six years. Could it be the different doses of hormones in Mirelle that are causing the breakouts? There has been no improvement over the four months since starting Mirelle.

#

The attached photographs (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) look like acne vulgaris grade 3 (Nodulocystic acne).

The cause of it could be the use of occlusive cosmetic lotions, cream, cleanser, high humidity, certain medications, high intake of milk, use of oily greasy sunscreen, touching it with unclean hands which cause blockage of sebaceous duct, which causes blockage of pores of sebaceous glands (oil secretion glands of skin) which leads to acne.

1) Use Nadibact (Nadifloxacin) cream twice daily for 15 days.

2) You can take tablet Azithromycin 500 mg once a day before food for three days.

3) Apply Acnesol A nano (Adapalene and Clindamycin Phosphate) gel at night for 15 days.

4) Use D' Acne (Salicylic acid with Glycolic acid) face wash twice daily for 15 days.

Get all necessary investigations done to rule out other possible causes like PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) or hormonal imbalance or fluctuations.

Consult a nearby Dermatologist for a proper personal prescription.

Avoid stress.

1) Do you have any drug history or drug allergies?

2) Are you diabetic?

3) Do you have excess hair growth on your face?

4) Do you have irregular menses?

Answer the questions for further treatment details and proper skincare routine.

|