Q. Can you recommend a product for acne scars?

Dr. Shaunak Patel

I am currently having acne on my cheeks and I am applying Benzoyl peroxide gel on my acne. It only reduces the inflammation but bumps are not reducing. I also have pigmentation caused by acne before. What may be the reason? I usually get cystic acne bumps on my cheeks. The acne clears and comes again. I have red pigmentation caused by acne. Can you recommend product for acne and pigmentation as well for controlling further breakouts. I want to know which sunscreen and moisturizer to use?

Dr. Shaunak Patel

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology

This provisional advice provided by me stands subject to the actual examination of report or image (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and is based entirely on inputs provided to me. It should be correlated with clinical findings.

You should know that you are in your teens and getting acne is a common thing. What we are concentrating is the acne should go away easily without leaving any scars of pigmentation. For that I suggest you use a good daily face cleanser like Spongy Sal foaming face wash.Do not rub your face after applying it. Just spread it evenly, gently and wash it off. Never use soap for cleaning face. Do this once during the day and once at night.

After cleansing the face at night apply Epiduo gel over the acne (Adapalene and Benzoyl peroxide) and apply gently until gel absorbs in skin. Do not massage or rub too vigorously.

You will experience some itching early on but do not worry. The gel will dry up the acne and it will be late off. Avoid going in the sun directly or if you have to wear a good sunblock off about SPF 50 plus and then go. This is the treatment as of now for your acne.Follow this for two weeks and give me a follow up. Then I will consider starting other medication gradually as you get more familiarized with the acne treatment.

Hope you follow this regimen carefully and do not stop or overmedicate by yourself.

As per your suggestion I am applying Epiduo gel at night and Salicylic face wash twice a day for the past 1 week. After using face wash my skin becomes very oily in an hour and this causes new breakouts. Should I use moisturizer for this? If so which moisturizer? My acne is slowly clearing, the bumps have reduced and some painful cyst is coming back. Some pus filled in pimples spread and causes near new acne bump. I have attached my photos please review it and guide me with further medication. I am not using sunscreen as I do not go out often and sunscreen causes me breakout. Please guide me to clear acne. How long should I continue the treatment? And tell me how to avoid further acne breakouts. Thank You

Dr. Shaunak Patel

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology

I saw the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

At this stage you need to take capsule Acutret 20 mg (Isotretinoin) orally after a lipid profile blood test, if all is normal, once at night for next one month.

You can use Vaseline petroleum jelly over lips. For dry face apply any light moisturizer (not very oily). Avoid oiling too much your hair as oil drips down on face and forehead causing acne. Change pillow cover once every week.

Use Epiduo gel only at night over acne and spots. It will peel off the spots and give you relief in long run. For spots not corrected with cream go for spots laser later on.

Apart from this follow the basic hygiene things that I stressed on in the earlier message. Be in touch and follow up back after a month for change in medicines. Take care and all the best.

Can I use Calamine lotion for hyperpigmentation?

Query: Hi doctor, The forehead portion above my eyes and the portion of face around eyes became black around four years ago. Please find the photo of my face attached here. I never took any medicine. For the last four months, I am taking some natural remedies such as turmeric, aloevera, etc. Please sugge...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sudhir Kumar N

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query and have seen your photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity). What I have seen is a blackish pigmentation over your forehead and around your eye along with ice pick, rolling and pock-like scars over your cheeks. The blackish pi...  Read Full

I need your suggestions on which sunscreen to use.

Query: Hi doctor, I am in a little trouble. Summer has started where I live, and I am addicted to playing cricket, whatever the weather or climate be. From last two weeks, I have noticed that my face color has become darker due to the sun. So, I am a little confused about which sunblock cream to use. I ne...  Read Full >>

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sun protection factor or SPF blocks damaging UV rays, which are responsible for skin aging, darkening, sunburn, and malignancy. I would advise you to use sunscreens that are a multi-spectrum or broad spectrum, which blocks both UV-A and UV-B rays. Select Sunscreen acc...  Read Full

What is the treatment for pus filled acne?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having acne on my cheeks for the past one month. I have red and pus filled acne. Redness is more in the cheeks area. I used Clindamycin gel and the pimple size reduced. But, pimples did not go away and also spreading nearby. I have used Benzoyl peroxide too, but no improvement. I ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query in detail and viewed the attached pictures (attachments removed to protect patient identity) and do understand your concern.  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now