Q. Can you recommend a product for acne scars?

Dr. Shaunak Patel
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

I am currently having acne on my cheeks and I am applying Benzoyl peroxide gel on my acne. It only reduces the inflammation but bumps are not reducing. I also have pigmentation caused by acne before. What may be the reason? I usually get cystic acne bumps on my cheeks. The acne clears and comes again. I have red pigmentation caused by acne. Can you recommend product for acne and pigmentation as well for controlling further breakouts. I want to know which sunscreen and moisturizer to use?

#

This provisional advice provided by me stands subject to the actual examination of report or image (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and is based entirely on inputs provided to me. It should be correlated with clinical findings.

You should know that you are in your teens and getting acne is a common thing. What we are concentrating is the acne should go away easily without leaving any scars of pigmentation. For that I suggest you use a good daily face cleanser like Spongy Sal foaming face wash.Do not rub your face after applying it. Just spread it evenly, gently and wash it off. Never use soap for cleaning face. Do this once during the day and once at night.

After cleansing the face at night apply Epiduo gel over the acne (Adapalene and Benzoyl peroxide) and apply gently until gel absorbs in skin. Do not massage or rub too vigorously.

You will experience some itching early on but do not worry. The gel will dry up the acne and it will be late off. Avoid going in the sun directly or if you have to wear a good sunblock off about SPF 50 plus and then go. This is the treatment as of now for your acne.Follow this for two weeks and give me a follow up. Then I will consider starting other medication gradually as you get more familiarized with the acne treatment.

Hope you follow this regimen carefully and do not stop or overmedicate by yourself.

As per your suggestion I am applying Epiduo gel at night and Salicylic face wash twice a day for the past 1 week. After using face wash my skin becomes very oily in an hour and this causes new breakouts. Should I use moisturizer for this? If so which moisturizer? My acne is slowly clearing, the bumps have reduced and some painful cyst is coming back. Some pus filled in pimples spread and causes near new acne bump. I have attached my photos please review it and guide me with further medication. I am not using sunscreen as I do not go out often and sunscreen causes me breakout. Please guide me to clear acne. How long should I continue the treatment? And tell me how to avoid further acne breakouts. Thank You

#

I saw the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

At this stage you need to take capsule Acutret 20 mg (Isotretinoin) orally after a lipid profile blood test, if all is normal, once at night for next one month.

You can use Vaseline petroleum jelly over lips. For dry face apply any light moisturizer (not very oily). Avoid oiling too much your hair as oil drips down on face and forehead causing acne. Change pillow cover once every week.

Use Epiduo gel only at night over acne and spots. It will peel off the spots and give you relief in long run. For spots not corrected with cream go for spots laser later on.

Apart from this follow the basic hygiene things that I stressed on in the earlier message. Be in touch and follow up back after a month for change in medicines. Take care and all the best.

|