Q. I have acne on face with hirsutism, weight gain and IBS. Kindly advise.

Dr. Sugreev Singh

I have extensive acne on the face, neck, back, upper arms, and abdomen. I also have hirsutism on the jawline, upper lip, chin and neck, weight gain on face, breasts, upper and lower abdomen and thighs, with IBS symptoms. All this started when I was about 16 years old. It has been getting worse over the past couple of years. My weight increased from 10-13.5 kg in the past year.

I have had chronic sleep disturbance, major depression disorder, and GAD for more than ten years, treated with various antidepressants, lithium, and antipsychotics with temporary improvement or little success. Recently came off Lithium to see if that was the cause of the weight gain. I currently take take Duloxetine and Trazadone.

Dr. Sugreev Singh

#

Actually, all the symptoms resemble PCOD (polycystic ovary syndrome) only, but you mentioned that you had ruled it by USG (ultrasound). Then other causes would be increased levels of hormones. I would like to suggest you to check your testosterone levels. Though it is a male hormone, sometimes it increases in females, and due to that, such symptoms are seen.

Do you get regular periods? Are that acne filled with pus? Can you please send pictures of acne you have? I will check and prescribe you medicine accordingly.

For now, you can apply ointment Adapalene 0.1 once daily before sleep on your face. It will help. Please send the picture of acne.

| 

When I am not on the pill, my period can be irregular from three to six weeks apart. I have a mixture of small bumpy red dots to larger pus-filled ones.

Dr. Sugreev Singh

#

All your symptoms resemble PCOD (polycystic ovary disease) only. When was your last USG examination? Skin rashes are eczema, it is an inflammation due to skin infection and allergies sometimes.

For these spots and acne, please take tablet Cetirizine 10 mg once a day after meal for seven days, tablet Cefixime 200 mg twice a day after meal for five days, tablet Prednisone 10 mg once a day after meal for seven days. Apply ointment Beclomethasone and Clotrimazole two to three times a day on spots. Use fresh towels and clothes.

Please do not continue the treatment for more than seven days without my consultation.

|