Q. I have been suffering from body acne since 10 years. Please help.

I have been suffering from body acne since 10 years. It is present on my upper arms, shoulders, back and buttocks. I have been using Benzoyl peroxide 5% since 6 months. But there has been no effect at all.

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic Venereology
#

Benzoyl peroxide alone is not going to work. Please send the photographs of the affected area to find out the grade of acne and to prescribe you the proper treatment.

Revert back with the pictures to a dermatologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Thank you doctor.

As per your instructions I have attached photographs.

• Apart from Benzoyl peroxide 5% (Benzac AC 5%), I have been using Soapex (Triclosan 0.5%) soap for bathing.
  • I also take care to wear cotton vests and use anti dandruff shampoo regularly.
  • I have been following this regimen for almost 6-8 months.
  • I am 22 years of age. I was told that it will go away by the time I turn 21-22. But it is still present.
  • My entire back till my upper thighs is covered by outbreaks.
  • I also have it on my upper arms and shoulders.
  • One more issue I am facing is that, there are scars left behind by acne, especially at the lower back.
  • However, miraculously I do not have a single outbreak on my face
  • I have been patiently dealing with acne for nearly 10 years. I hope you will be able to mitigate this long suffered curse.

#

I have gone through your photographs (attachments removed to protect patient identity).

• What you were told about acne is wrong, in most cases acne subsides by 24-27 years of age, and in few cases it can go even longer.
  • Stop Triclosan as it is of no use in acne.
  • Also stop using Benzac AC, I am giving you a good alternative.

I would advise the following:

• Microbenz 3.5 cream (Benzoyl peroxide microsphere gel), once daily in day time.
  • Deriva CMS cream (Adapalene Microspheres + Clindamycin Phosphate gel), once daily at night time.
  • Acne UV gel, twice daily on the sun exposed area.
  • Tablet Acutret 20mg (Isotretinoin), one tablet daily at night.
  • Use the Microbenz and Deriva after cleaning the lesion with cetaphil cleanser.
  • It is normal to have dryness, cheilitis after using Acutret. So, you can apply any good moisturizer and lip balm of your choice.
  • Do not apply any home remedy sort of things.

Since it is a very chronic disease, make sure that you be in regular follow up. Revert back to a dermatologist online for review in 4 weeks --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Is Isotretinoin a good tablet for acne?

Query: Hi doctor, I have deep acne on the face for more than 10 years and for which my doctor has prescribed Isotretinoin drug Isokon 20 mg. The medicine seems to show a lot of improvement for acne. However, I feel that it has some side effects as I feel tired with burning eyes. Is this normal? Is Isotre...  Read Full »

What can I take for bacterial infection in my gums?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a bacterial infection in my gums because of my wisdom teeth coming in. I have taken Clindamycin and Motrin but it does not work.  Read Full »

After starting Isotretinoin, my facial hair has increased. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am female of 25 years old. My weight is 58 kg and height is 5'3". I am suffering from acne problem for the past 5 years. I tried many antibiotics. Now, I am on Isotretinoin for more than a month and it has really cleared my acne. But, my facial hair has increased. Will it become worse i...  Read Full »