Q. What can a 21-year-old patient do to prevent acne that reappears even after taking the medications?

Dr. Sandhya Narayankutty
and medically reviewed by Dr. Anuthanyaa R

I am 21 years old and have had acne for four years. I took the tablet Azithromycin 250 mg and applied vitamin C niacinamide serum for my acne. I did not get any acne after using these medicines, but they reappeared when I stopped taking them. Please suggest something.

#

Acne vulgaris, also called acne, appears most often during the teenage due to sudden fluctuation in hormone levels in our body. Apart from this, our lifestyle, including the food we eat, stress, products used on the face, and polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), are some of the contributory factors. If you have menstrual irregularities, please consult a gynecologist to rule out PCOS. Avoid fried foods and red meat, and include lots of fruits and vegetables in your diet. Avoid milk and dairy products, sweets, sugar, and chocolates, and consume at least 12 glasses of water daily. Avoid using serums on your face because they are beautifying agents that will increase the appearance of acne. You may use them once the acne has completely healed. I suggest you take the following medications:

1. Salic DS face wash (2 % Salicylic Acid) needs to be used for cleaning your face in the morning and at night. Take a moderate amount, massage, and wash off within a minute.
  2. Clindamycin and Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% gel on the affected area only in the morning after washing your face for a month.
  3. Adapalene gel is to be applied to the affected area only at night. Take a small amount of the gel and apply it to the acne spots alone. This needs to be used for 30 minutes after washing your face, and ensure your face has no moisture while applying the gel.
  4. The chewable tablet Zivinix C (Vitamin C, Vitamin D, and Zinc) is to be taken at night after food for a month.

|