Q. Which tests should I do to check adrenal gland functions?

Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan

Do you have a question on Acth Stimulation Test or Anaemia? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 27 year old man and a student of ecological solution. I do a little bit of sport. I eat a balanced diet. I have fatigue and headache when I do anaerobic exercise, and when I read a book. According to my doctor, my average blood pressure is 12.8 or 12.7. All my family members are in good health. My mother's sister has osteoporosis. Reading a book or something else gives me headache and fatigue, so I need to rest after reading something. When I need to read something I must drink a lot of water to be less tired, because if I do not drink a lot of water before reading I need to rest five times more than the usual. Because of this reason, I have stopped my schooling.

I got my standard blood test, TSH and lipid test done, I used to do running of one hour by weekend. I want to do home body building like push-up, but I cannot do it like I used to do before. I do not know why my anaerobic capacity has decreased a lot in the last three years. When I do some push-ups or another anaerobic exercise like 100 m speed running, I have really bad results; I take too much time to do this kind of exercise. I am abnormally getting breathless and my heart beats fast. I was not like that before six years, but my physical appearance has not changed. I must drink 1 liter of water 35 minutes before running, if I do not then I cannot even stand for ten minutes. If I drink a lot of water like 1 liter, 40 minutes before, I can do 70 push-ups at the first series, but If I drink only one or two glasses of water 10 minutes before, I cannot do 45 push-ups and my heart begin to beat hard and I am completely breathless and tired. After a running session of 40 minutes to one hour, immediately when I begin to do my legs muscles stretching even if I am completely relaxed and feel good, without any breathlessness also.

When I do my stretching my heart begins to beat very fast and hard and I begin to be breathless. Then I must wait and drink water and do my stretching very slowly. I have never felt this before, and I used to work at school with pleasure, read some books and do sport more easily. My wear has a strange smell after sport. It smells something like a rotten wood plank. It is a smooth bad odor not too much aggressive but really unusual.

The few doctors I have seen do not know what the source of the problem is, but we found that I do not have a good thermoregulation because I am cold and need a lot of clothes. It seems like I feel better when I am in vasodilation period like under the sun or in a hot place. So, I tried a supplement called Citrulline six months ago, to have more arginine in the body to have a better vasodilation. Indeed, I feel really less tired since I take the Citrulline. I feel like my muscle cells and other tissue are more supplied in something that I need in these cells. Citrulline helped a bit, but it did not resolve the problem. Hope you could help me. Thank you.