Q. Are my symptoms due to alcohol neuropathy or a back injury?

Dr. Hitesh Kumar
Published on May 29, 2017

I am a 31 years old, who weighs 160 lbs and 5.10 feet tall. I drink alcohol on and off since I was 18 years old. Once I got back from deployment, I drank pretty hard with friends. I would say 3 to 8 beers every other night and then 12 to 16 on weekends. I quit drinking cold turkey a month and a few weeks ago, but then I started having weird symptoms. I get panic attacks, my heart would race, and I would get dizzy and light headed. About the same time, I hurt my lower back using an ab roller. Now, my heart still beats faster than it normally does, especially in the mornings when I first get out of the bed. It almost slows back down to normal when my wife and I go on walks though. My back is still hurting as I am waiting for my MRI, but I have been to the ER four times in a month with chest tightness and a racing heart. The last time I went, I was given Morphine, which brought all my vitals back to normal. Am I at risk for alcohol neuropathy or could the racing heart and sometimes shortness of breath be attributed to a potential back injury?

#

After quitting alcohol, many patients get alcohol withdrawal symptoms, but that usually develops within a week of quitting alcohol.

Chest tightness and racing heart can be because of some cardiac problem like rhythm disturbance or ischemic heart disease, or it can also be due to severe anxiety or panic attack. But it does not seem to be related to the back injury.

Chronic alcoholismis a risk factor for developing heart problem also. For back pain, you can get an MRI of the spine. As you have consumed alcohol for such a long time, there is a possibility that it might have affected your nerves already, which may be subclinical and can be looked for by doing the following tests:

1. NCV (nerve conduction velocity) of both legs.
  2. Serum vitamin B12 and B1 levels.

If your heart tests come out to be normal, you can meet a psychiatrist for proper de-addiction treatment and also a treatment for your anxiety and panic attacks.

For further queries consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

My heart beats fast and eyes become red if I drink alcohol. Is there a treatment?

Query: Hello doctor,My heartbeat raises and the eyes become very red and I become tired when I take alcohol. Why does this happen so? And, what is the treatment?  Read Full >>

Dr. Nidhin Mohan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The alcohol ingested is metabolized in the liver and converted to acetaldehyde. This takes place in the liver. The variations in the effect of alcohol in different people take place because of the difference in the genetics of enzymes called alcohol dehydrogenases (A...  Read Full

Can implantable cardioverter defibrillator cause AFib?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know if an¬†implantable cardioverter defibrillator can cause AFib. Please explain.  Read Full >>

Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Implantable defibrillators are implanted to terminate an episode of atrial arrhythmia. AFib (atrial fibrillation) is also a type of atrial arrhythmia. The ICD not only provides treatment for atrial arrhythmias, but also provides treatment for ventricular arrhythmias, as ...  Read Full

Why am I having muscle twitches all over my body?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having muscle twitches all around my body for about two months. First I noticed it in the legs, around my calves, arms and even on my back. It has been fairly noticeable around my shoulders, and biceps. At one point I even noticed my right eye twitching whenever I blinked,...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would explain that the muscle twitching could be related to low vitamin D levels. For this reason, it is important to take Vitamin D supplements. I would also recommend checking vitamin B12 plasma levels for possible deficiency and perfo...  Read Full