Q. Family peace has been ruined because of alcohol. What can be done?

Published on Nov 06, 2017

My brother-in-law is an alcoholic. He drinks a lot and verbally abuses my sister. When he gets back to normal, he says he does not remember what he said or what wrong he did. He is involved in binge drinking and smoking for the last 15 years. He says he wants to quit but is unable to. It has been five years since my sister got married to him. My sister gets very disturbed when he returns home drunk and in an unconscious state. Many times he is found drunk on the roadsides. People bring him home in semi or unconscious state. He talks continuously on the phone when he is drunk. When he is not drunk, he talks very little and remains silent. Sometimes he weeps a lot and gets emotional because he is not having children and it has been five years since his marriage. He is not ready for an IVF. He wants children naturally. There is also a dispute in his house among his brothers regarding a property. We want him to quit alcohol and smoking. He himself also wants to quit but is helpless. Please advise me on how to help him quit alcohol.

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

• First of all, I would like to inform you that your brother-in-law is suffering from alcoholism which means he is completely dependent on alcohol and everything is disturbed because of this. It also seems to me that his judgment is impaired which is creating a problem.
  • Regarding helping him in quitting alcohol, you are requested to see a psychiatrist without delay. Unsupervised stoppage of alcohol after years of abuse can cause a lot of problems and it is never advisable to quit alcohol after years of use without medical supervision. I also like to inform you that the prescribed treatment will address almost all the problems one would encounter when quitting alcohol. 
  • I also feel that there may be underlying depression as evidenced by crying spells and less communication precipitated by the property dispute. 
  • I suggest you get the following reports and get back to me.
  1. LFT (liver function tests) with GGT (gamma-glutamyl transferase)
  2. CBC (complete blood count)
  3. Blood urea nitrogen and serum creatinine
  4. Thyroid panel
  5. Abdominal ultrasonography.

Thanks and regards.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. K Sneha

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article

My creatinine is 3.05 mg/dL. How bad is it?

Query: Hello doctor, My blood report came today surprise me that my creatinine is 3.05 mg/dL. How bad is it? I am very concerned. Is there any way I can avid dialysis and treat with medication, diet and excursive. Please guide me if possible. I am taking Verapamil ER 180 mg and Atorvastatin 20 mg for hig...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sandeep Varma
Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As I understand, you are having hypertension for past 15 years, apparently under control at present. Many a time, hypertension can remain undetected, without symptoms for long. So we may not know the exact duration of the disease in many patients. You have hypertension ...  Read Full

Can cocaine cause elevation in LFTs?

Query: Hi doctor, My recent ALT is 90 and AST is 86. I used cocaine two days before the blood test. Can it cause an elevation in LFTs? If so, how long of an abstinence period would be needed to get LFTs back down to normal levels?  Read Full >>

Dr. Aamir Mohd

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all cocaine did not make LFT (liver function test) rise just taking it for two days. It is possible only if you have been taking cocaine from long time. Second thing is ALT (alanine transaminase) 90 and AST (aspartate transminase) 86 are not that high values whic...  Read Full