Q. Is it normal to have a stuffy nose, headache, and pain inside the nose after a nasal endoscopy?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

I had a nasal endoscopy without Lidocaine for rhinitis before seven months. I did not have any side effects after the procedure. However, yesterday, I had another nasal endoscopy with Lidocaine. Now my nose is stuffy, and I have also got a headache, pain inside the nose, and it hurts when I administer Dymista. Is it a normal side effect? Can I keep administering Dymista? Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. Lidocaine can cause some mucosal membrane dryness. I suggest you continue tablet Xyzal (Levocetirizine) for a week and stop Dymista (Azelastine hydrochloride and Fluticasone propionate) because it contains an antihistamine that can treat allergy effectively but can cause some nasal dryness. I also suggest using Avamys spray (Fluticasone furoate) once daily for one month. For headaches, I suggest using anti-inflammatory or analgesic drugs such as Diclofenac sodium, Diclofenac potassium, or Paracetamol. I would like to know the following:

1) Are you allergic to any odor, foods, or medicines?

2) Do you suffer from excessive sneezing or rhinorrhea?

3) Do you suffer from nasal, throat, or eye itching?

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

Thank you for the reply. I am allergic to gluten. And I do not have itching or sneezing. However, I have had rhinorrhea after yesterday's nasal endoscopy procedure. Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. I suggest you can add an oral antihistamine like tablet Claritin (Loratadine) once daily.

I hope you get well soon.

|