Q. Which medicine can I take for itchiness in eyes?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on May 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 04, 2020

I am a 25 year old male. There is a lot of itchiness in eyes for the past three to four days. Please tell me what to do. Which medicine can I take?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• I think you have allergic conjunctivitis. Eye allergies, called allergic conjunctivitis, are a common condition that occurs when the eyes react to something that irritates them (called an allergen).
  • The eyes produce a substance called histamine to fight off the allergen. As a result, the eyelids and conjunctiva (the thin, filmy membrane that covers the inside of your eyelids) become red, swollen and itchy, with tearing and burning.
  • The key to treating eye allergies is,
  1. Avoid or limit contact with the substance causing the problem.
  2. Avoid rubbing eyes instead do cold compresses.
  3. Use antiallergic eyedrops like Olopat eyedrop (Olopatadine) twice daily.
  4. Also can use lubricating eyedrop like Flogel (Sodium carboxymethylcellulose) thrice daily.
  5. Use mild steroid like Flurisone (Fluorometholone) in pulse dose in severe allergy.
  • This will help you. I am very sorry to say that there is no medicine that can cure allergy. Only way is to stay away from all those things that you are allergic to.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Swelling and irritation continue a month after conjunctivitis. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29 year old woman. I have been diagnosed with conjunctivitis a month ago. After initial medication, the pain reduced a little, but swelling still remains. I have a feeling of irritation (like something pricking inside the eye). Hence, I visited a hospital again. My doctor gave ...  Read Full »

Why am I having itching and white discharge from eye?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an eye problem, eye itching, irritating eye, white thread discharge, and facing these problems for the past one year.  Read Full »

My eyes become reddish and watery when exposed to bright light. Is it due to contact lens?

Query: Hi doctor, I am wearing contact lenses of -2.5 on both eyes. Since last week, whenever I get exposed to bright light (both indoor and outdoor), my eyelids get closed, and it is hard to get it open for a while, which makes eyes more reddish and watery. I have not consulted any doctor, but I have been...  Read Full »