Q. How to treat long-term skin allergies like redness and itchiness?

Dr. Radela Yvonne Cortes
This is a premium question & answer published on May 18, 2022 and last reviewed on: May 25, 2022

I have had a skin allergy for the last ten years and have complete redness and itchiness, and I was taking Cetzine. I am currently taking Atarax, Beioposand Fludac. So, I am looking for online consultation on the same. Please help.

#

You mentioned that you have had a skin allergy for the past ten years and had been on Cetirizine. You are also on Atarax, Bepotastine besylate, and Fluoxetine.

1) Can you describe the skin allergies that you have?

2) Does the redness and itchiness last for more than 24 hours, and does your skin return to normal once the allergy attack disappears?.

3) Do you have any history of food and drug allergies?

The term "skin allergies" may be atopic dermatitis, urticaria, or other diseases affecting the skin. They may have similar but not entirely the same form of treatment. The antihistamines you have been taking will help you, but it is important to know what causes it. The best way to treat an allergy is to avoid the cause. Even if you are taking antihistamines, but you get exposed to the trigger, the allergies will appear again. I would suggest you visit your allergist so you can identify the cause and you can be managed accordingly.

Idiopathic Urticaria?

Skin test.

Atopic dermatitis.

Chronic urticaria.

Skin testing.

Antihistamine.

Avoid identifiable cause.

Hi these are my reports of the allergy tests conducted in the LAB. Kindly take a look and provide me the solution for this allergy I am struggling with. Its in a very chaotic phase.

Will be awaiting for your response.
# Hi. Thank you for following up and for showing your skin testing result.

Ideally, interpretation of your result should be correlated with other factors, specially, your clinical history. Avoid the allergens that you have a positive result, specially 3,4 and 5 reactions. Reaction 1,2 means that you are already sensitized to it and may develop clinical symptoms any time, with constant exposure.

Avoidance is the best form of treatment. Taking an antihistamine will improve the allergy but re-exposure will cause it to act up again. I suggest you continue your current medication. If your allergy is not controlled, then consider switching your antihistamines ( atarax and beipos ) to loratadine 10 mg 1 tablet once a day for 2-4 weeks. If Bilastine 20 mg is available in your country, you can try it 1 tablet after breakfast and after dinner for 2 -4 weeks.

You can also try to do a food diary. List down all the foods that you are eating and mark the ones that causes the allergy. If your allergy is still uncontrolled, consult an allergist or immunologist for a blood test so that your immune system can be assessed.

food

pollens

shift antihistamine to loratadine or bilastine

avoidance of allergens

|