Q. I have spotting with headache and dizziness. Can I be pregnant?

Dr. Uzma Arqam
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 19, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 08, 2020

I have my cycle of normally 42 to 45 days. Last time, it was 55 days. This time on 47th day, I had spotting with headache, back pain, dizziness, low BP, and HR around 110 and BP around 70/100 pregnancy test are negative and it is seven days after we had unprotected sex. My question is, can I be pregnant? If not, why am I having all the pregnancy symptoms like headache, reflux, dizziness, and back pain?

#

According to your history, you are a 39 year old lady with a BMI of 28.4, having long cycles of 42 to 55 days. You had unprotected sex activity seven days back (do not know which day of the cycle you had activity) but on the 47th day of the cycle, you got spotting with dizziness, headache, and backache. You did a pregnancy test (do not know when, but it was negative). Regarding past medical/surgical/menstrual and drug history, you did not mention anything.

My advice is to have blood pressure, pulse checked in a nearby health center with random blood sugar level and one serum beta hCG (pregnancy hormone). It will the clear situation. If spotting/bleeding continues even mildly, repeat beta hCG after 48 hours as well. If it is decreasing, it means pregnancy is subsiding. But if increasing, it means you have pregnancy (more than 60 % increase after 48 hours is in healthy pregnancy and less than 60 % means unhealthy or pregnancy outside uterus alarming).

Transvaginal ultrasound also may help but need specialist hands. But first most important that your vital signs should be normal. In case of abnormal vitals, you need emergency detailed evaluation. If vitals are normal with no pregnancy you can be advised for day-2 menstrual cycle -

1. Serum FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone).
  2. LH (luteinizing hormone).
  3. Testosterone.
  4. Serum insulin.
  5. Serum prolactin.
  6. Thyroid Function test.
  7. Serum progesterone.

I hope you understand my point. I will wait to hear from you. Best of luck.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|