Shall I wait for period or take a pregnancy test?

Q. Shall I wait for period or take a pregnancy test?

Answered by
Dr. Garima Sawhney
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 15, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 28, 2022

Hello doctor,

I have a regular 30-days cycle of periods. Last month on 10th, my menses started. On 11th, I had sex and he ejaculated inside me. Yesterday was my actual next period, but it did not come yet. Shall I wait for the period or take a pregnancy test?



Welcome to

Wait for three more days. In case, it does not start, then do a pregnancy test.

I hope you found this useful. Thank you.

Thank you doctor,

Is there any possibility to get pregnant if I had sex during periods, even if I had a regular 30-days cycle?



Welcome to

There is 99 % no chance of pregnancy in case you had unprotected intercourse during your period cycle as it is considered to be the safe period. But, 1 % chance is there. So, that is the reason I told you to do the pregnancy test in case you do not start with your periods. The second reason for the same could be stressor some hormonal changes. We will look for that later if you do not start your cycles.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Is there a chance for pregnancy even if HPT was negative 2 days back?

Did you take any hormonal pills ...   Read full

Does a breakout of cold sores mean I am HIV positive?

.. noted your concern. An irregular period is not a sign of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection nor is a breakout of labial herpes (cold sores). An irregular period could be due to other reasons like stress, anxiety, hormonal imbalances of the th   Read full

Can stress and restlessness delay periods?

Since you do not want a pregnancy, you can go for various contraceptive options like oral contraceptives, intrauterine contraceptive device (IUCD) or depot injections ... I took pills during my   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.