Q. I did not get my periods with excessive hairfall, weight gain and facial hair growth. Why?

Dr. Bhagyarekha Yattinamani

I did not get my periods for the last one year. Now I got a lot of hair fall, increase in body weight, more hair growth in the face. I have thyroid and when checked before three months it was three times high than the normal. Now I am not able to go to any hospital. Please suggest.

#

I want to know your age, height, weight, and medications you are on for thyroid. Review with your reports.

My height is 156 cm and I weigh about 78 kg. My thyroid level is 13.

#

Your weight is too high for your height. Your BMI (body mass index) comes under obese category. This itself can be a cause for the growth of facial hair. This might have let to PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) which causes irregular cycles and hormonal imbalance. Also, hypothyroidism can itself cause irregular cycles.

I had asked you to share your previous thyroid reports. If you do not have thyroid profile blood tests done in the last six months then please get thyroid blood test and share the reports with me. Also, tell me how much dose of thyroxine you are taking currently? Thyroid problem can cause irregular cycles, weight gain, loss of interest, and slowed reflexes.

So tell me your age, marital status, how many kids you have? Is this the first time you have had irregular cycles?

Get USG (ultrasound) pelvis to look for PCOS and TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), T3, and T4 done along with FBS (fasting blood sugar) test. To get your periods, please take tablet Meprate (Medroxyprogesterone acetate) 10 mg twice daily for seven days and stop within one to two weeks, you will get your periods.

I have taken my thyroid results yesterday. Also, now I am taking 100 mg Thyroxine. I am 38 years old and have one daughter of eight years.

T3 - 1.61.

T4 - 8.92.

TSH - 1.06.

#

Please continue to take thyroid tablets. Controlling thyroid itself can cause weight loss and regular periods, but however, please reduce your weight. You can have a controlled diet and 45 minutes of walk.

Take tablet Meprate 10 mg twice daily for seven days and stop within one to two weeks, you will get your periods. However, please note that at least once in three months you must bleed no matter how irregular your cycle. So if you do not get periods in three months take tablets from doctor to get your periods because not getting periods itself can cause hormonal imbalance and affect your health.

|