Q. I have anal itching, pain and bleeding. I am embarrassed. Please help.

Dr. Meha Malhotra
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 19, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

Hi,I am approaching you since I am concerned about a situation regarding which I am very embarrassed. 

• I am a 43 year old female. I am normally healthy. I am 178cm tall and I weigh 75kg. 
  • Around 9-12 months ago, I started to suffer from anal itching.
  • It is rather intense at night, after passing stools and during/after having intercourse or anal masturbation.
  • I also have few lumps on my anal ring that seem to grow outside of my anal opening as an extended piece of flesh.
  • They are very sensitive but they are odd and it really troubles me.
  • I fear that my problem started as a result of anal masturbation and anal sex.
  • I feel very ashamed to say this. I was using anal toys and hand and I am afraid that during these years I myself  have created problems to my health and I do not know how to fix it.
  • I do not have constipation and my stool is normal.
  • I pass motion once a day and I have no abdominal pain while passing stools.
  • Sometimes when I have anal sex I start bleeding from my rectum for a few seconds and then it stops.
  • It does not bleed when I pass stools or any other time.
  • I have not attained menopause even though my period seems to be every 6-7 weeks these days.

I would appreciate if you can help me understand how to treat this issue and what should I do (i.e, special diet, special creams, instructions on how to clean the area etc.)

Help me please, I am looking for a very discreet way to handle my situation since I am too concerned about talking with my spouse.

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I read your entire history and have understood your concern.

I also understand your hesitation in discussing your problems with anyone.

• Coming to your complaints, the anal bleeding, pain, itching are all due to trauma to the anus and anal canal.
  • The anal canal is physiologically not made to insert anything.
  • So, on doing so it dilates and there can be abrasions (cuts) due to friction and force.
  • With time the dilation becomes more permanent which may have led to the outgrowths near your anus.
  • The bleeding through anus after anal sex is due to the friction.
  • In my view, for a few months stop anal intercourse and masturbation.
  • Because if you continue doing so, the ability of the anus to recoil will decrease and then you may develop even worse problems like infection, leakage of stools, constant pain etc.
  • And later decrease the frequency of anal intercourse.
  • For the outgrowths from the anus you may have to get them removed surgically before they increase in size or get infected.
  • No medicines will help in treating these outgrowths.
  • Regarding your periods, you are in the premenopause stage.
  • Get a ultrasound scan of the abdomen and pelvis done to rule out any uterine problem.

Lastly, no good doctor will ever judge you for anything you do in your personal life. So do not feel ashamed in consulting one and getting the growths removed.

Revert back with the reports to a Dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|