Q. I am worried about my anger and impulsive behavior. Please help.

Dr. Gaurang Surti

I am 18 and struggling with anger issues and impulsive behavior which I am unable to stop. I seriously think that I am quickly getting depressed and developing anxiety and repulsive behavior. I have had many past incidents which might have reflected upon my change in attitude change, and so I want to get rid of this. Please help me.

#

I can understand the difficulties faced by you because of the impulsivity. Since you are only 18 years old, I would not consider any medications right now.

However, I would advise you first to appreciate the bodily changes that come when you become angry like clenching of teeth, feeling body muscles contracting and increased respiration.

Secondly, I would advise you to leave the situation or place which makes you angry.

Thirdly splash your face with cold water or take a bath and drink a glass of water. Then you can close your eyes and take deep slow breaths through your nose. While doing so kindly focus on your body muscles individually in a series like the first face then neck then trunk and so on. And also while taking deep breaths, you can count from 1 to 100. By doing so, you can manage your anger and thus your offensive behavior. Thank you.

| 

How can I control my anger?

Query: Hello doctor, I get angry easily and I become violent. Then I hit my wife due to no fault of hers.  Read Full »

In borderline personality, is it possible to tell if one's actions are due to the disorder or not?

Query: Hello doctor, My partner has received a diagnosis of borderline personality disorder. She has been suspended from work on an allegation of serious breach of health and safety which could lead to dismissal. We are trying to investigate whether her diagnosis could have impacted on her actions. She ha...  Read Full »

Is there any medicine to control anger?

Query: Hi doctor, I am not able to control my feelings and getting so much of anger. My heartbeat is getting increased. I do not know what I a doing at that time. I am just scolding my friends, family, etc. But, after some time, I feel regret on thinking about that and will get into depression. Sometimes,...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Psychotherapist Now