Q. What are the ways to prevent migraine headache?

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

I am suffering from migraine from my school time. Just before 2 years a neurologist suggested me Naproxen 500, which I am taking when I am getting an attack. But in the summer I am getting the attack twice a day and this is only the cure. But the headache is killing me. Please someone help me for precaution or any medicine which help me to prevent from the headache.

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

#

While for acute attacks Naproxen + Domperidone is fine, but to prevent the attacks from happening you should take migraine prophylaxis. You could try a beta-blocker (Metoprolol, Propranolol) extended-release tablets or use SSRI's (Amitryptiline, etc.). Also, Triptans are better if you have moderate to severe episodes of migraine.

I would suggest you to chart your headache, maintain a diary of headaches, with the frequency of headaches per week or month and duration of the headache with or without medications, so that severity of migraine could be determined. On the basis of that only, the therapy can be modified.

| 

My wife has been suffering from migraine and gastric irritation. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is suffering from a migraine. I have consulted a neurosurgeon. He has given tablets Sibelium 10 mg, Topirol 25 mg, and Serenance. But, she is unable to take food. While drinking water also she is feeling gastric irritation. She is taking Omez D and Zofran syrup before meals for ...  Read Full »

Can Aleve and Goody's powder cause stomach upset?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently had a migraine, so I took two tablets of Aleve. It did not work, so I took Goody's powder, but the pain was still there, so I took another one. The migraine pain has gone, but my stomach seems to be upset.  Read Full »

I have muscle tenderness after an accident. What has to be done?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently had a car accident. I was passenger. How can my arm feel very still and tender? The doctor at the urgent care gave me Naproxen but my muscle is still tender and I have not been able to sleep at all. The doctor gave me Hydroxyzine which did not work.  Read Full »