Q. What are the ways to prevent migraine headache?

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

I am suffering from migraine from my school time. Just before 2 years a neurologist suggested me Naproxen 500, which I am taking when I am getting an attack. But in the summer I am getting the attack twice a day and this is only the cure. But the headache is killing me. Please someone help me for precaution or any medicine which help me to prevent from the headache.

#

While for acute attacks Naproxen + Domperidone is fine, but to prevent the attacks from happening you should take migraine prophylaxis. You could try a beta-blocker (Metoprolol, Propranolol) extended-release tablets or use SSRI's (Amitryptiline, etc.). Also, Triptans are better if you have moderate to severe episodes of migraine.

I would suggest you to chart your headache, maintain a diary of headaches, with the frequency of headaches per week or month and duration of the headache with or without medications, so that severity of migraine could be determined. On the basis of that only, the therapy can be modified.

|