Q. Why was anti-D injection given after my second abortion?

Dr. Aishwarya Parthasarathy

I am a 24-year-old female. I have undergone two medical abortions one at the age of 22 and at 24. I have Rh negative blood group. I was not given an anti-D injection the first time but I was given the second time.

The doctor suggested an ICT test and it came positive which means there are antibodies in my body.

Could you please tell me how could this impact on my future pregnancy? I am very worried.

#

Rh-negative pregnancy occurs when there is negative blood group in the mother and positive in the unborn child.

The attacking agents called antibodies are produced by the mother which crosses the placenta and attacks the child. Usually, the first pregnancy is spared and from the second it becomes active.

Anti-D injections prevent this and should be given after every childbirth or abortion.

Once you are pregnant, from 16 weeks onwards start checking the ICT (indirect Coombs test) levels every month. When this crosses >1 in four titers you must get an ultrasound of the blood flow to the child's brain.

If this condition gets severe, there is a provision for transfusion of the blood inside the womb in big centers.

So, do not worry. With good advancements in technology, the prognosis is good.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|