Q. I have stomach pain and bloating after taking Augmentin 625. Why?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 26, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 07, 2021

My age is 33 years. My height is 164 cms, and my weight is 67 kg.

I am suffering from a sore throat, so I took Augmentin 625, 12 to 13 days back but found no improvement, but I started suffering from stomach pain and excessive gas. Now I am taking the below medicines as prescribed by the ENT specialist that are

1.Allegra-M tablet

2.Rinifol capsule

3.Esoz D 40 capsule

4.Acinil-O surup for ten days.Two days are remaining to finish the course.

Stomach pain and bloated stomach persist.

#

Welcome to icliniq. com.

Well, it is not uncommon to have gastric upsets after a course of antibiotics. And Antibiotics like Augmentin are notorious for causing this. This occurs secondary to the effect of Augmentin on decreasing the number of lactobacillus microorganisms that are normally present in the human gut and help digest the food.

You should take yogurt, Kefir (fermented yogurt), Kefir. And there are specific diets with the probiotic activity you can start taking it. Plus, take tablet Ecotec twice daily for four weeks and tablet Levosulpiride 75 mg once daily a half hour before meals. For two weeks, you can continue with Acinil-O syrup. At the same time, the rest of your current medication can be stopped.

I hope this will correct your microbiota and will bring the same healthiness as before.

Antibiotic induced dysbiosis.

Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.

Antibiotic induced dysbiosis.

Let me know in one week time how you respond to the above regimen, if persistent of symptoms I would consider testing and giving some safe antibiotic therapy for two weeks.

|