Q. How to make my body produce enough serotonin?

Dr. Sonia Malhotra
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 29, 2020

I am 29 years old. I have been on different antidepressants for 14 years now. I did a 4 week taper off of Lexapro and have been off completely for one and a half weeks now. The physical symptoms of withdrawal are gone. But, I just feel depressed. I am in a constant depressive state. Will my body take a while to start making serotonin again? If so, then how long will it take? When do I know that my body is not going to make enough serotonin? Do I need to go back on antidepressants? I do not like who I am anymore.

#

• Early onset depression (less than 35 years of age) and that too of 14 years duration is not the ideal condition to taper off antidepressants.
  • Only in typical depression that starts after a known stressor is episodic or lasts only 6 to 9 months when left untreated, is a trial of antidepressant taper taken.
  • My advice would be not to stop antidepressants completely, rather come to a lower dose and maintain it for life. Every time when depression recurs, it will damage your brain and cognitive functions.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|