HomeAnswersMedical Gastroenterologyantral gastritisAm I suffering from achalasia or GERD?

Am I suffering from achalasia or GERD?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At September 27, 2016
Reviewed AtJuly 21, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am a 31 year old male. I recently had a severe chest pain like heartburn and visited a gastroenterologist doctor. I am also suffering from swallowing disorder for the past seven to eight months, especially solid foods and sometime liquids too. It feels that whenever I eat food it stuck somewhere in the chest at the level of the lower esophagus. I need to drink water to take down that food in the stomach. My doctor told me that I am suffering from mild antral gastritis and esophageal candidiasis as per endoscopy. Also, the endoscopy finding says that esophagus shows white curdy precipitate with erythema at GE junction and large dilated esophagus. Now, he has suggested for manometry test. I want to know the actual problem with me. Am I suffering from achalasia with GERD? What are the treatment options? The medication I am going through is Nexpro-L, Nexpro 40 and Torfix 400 mg. Can it be treated with medication or require surgery?


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • Your primary diagnosis is esophageal candidiasis and antral gastritis. These are medical conditions and managed with medical treatment only. Although, treatment for esophageal candidiasis lasts little long duration.
  • The esophageal manometry test is not required for these conditions and neither for GERD (Gastro esophageal reflux disorder).
  • The esophageal manometry test is to confirm esophageal motility disorder in which esophageal dilatation is common. Also, these disorders have a common presentation like you, difficulty in swallowing.
  • In contrast to the above mentioned conditions, achalasia is a surgical condition and requires surgery.
  • Yes, you require manometry test in suspicion of dilated esophagus. But, do this test after completion of treatment for esophageal candidiasis for at least after 15 to 20 days.

Investigations to be done

Upper GI endoscopy and esophageal manometry.

Probable diagnosis

1. Achalasia cardia. 2. Esophageal dysmotility syndrome.

Regarding follow up

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Kagathara Happy Kumar Devkaranbhai
Dr. Kagathara Happy Kumar Devkaranbhai

Medical Gastroenterology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Medical Gastroenterology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy