Q. Why does my heart pound when I am worried?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2020

I am getting anxiety and panic attacks when I am worried or overthink. I had pounding and palpitation at that time. But, I am not feeling anything in specific. I am going 20 minutes walk daily about 6.5 km per hour and burning 200 calories. I lost around 5 kg in the past three months. I have stopped taking chocolates, coke, red bull, etc., as well to help with weight loss. I have attached my CBC report here for your reference.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

Based on your query and attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows:

• The eosinophil count is mildly high, indicating a possible allergic reaction to the environment.
  • However, if you have not taken any antihelmintics and if there is a possible worm infection suspicion, then Albendazole, an anti-helmintic tablet will be beneficial. Do discuss with your doctor.
  • The WBC - white blood cell count is mildly elevated partly due to stress and also increased eosinophil.
  • Mild reduction in MCH (mean corpuscular hemoglobin) is noted, indicating possibly early iron deficiency anemia. Iron supplements or iron-rich diet should be helpful.
  • Your hemoglobin is good. The RBC (red blood cell) count is mildly elevated with normal hemoglobin indicating early iron deficiency. Not to worry, it will get corrected with iron-rich diet and supplements.
  • Based on your blood report, there is no reason for anxiety at present. It is normal to have pounding and palpitations during anxiety.
  • Try relaxation exercises, meditation, and sports like badminton, table tennis, etc., which involve both physical and mental involvement. It will be a good relaxation technique and calorie burner too.
  • Have a balanced diet, good regular 8 to 9 hours sleep in the night along with adequate hydration of at least 6-8 liters of water every day. Your blood report is not to be worried about.

1. Iron deficiency.
2. Eosinophilia.

Iron supplements and iron-rich diet,. Also Albendazole, if worm infection is suspected.

For further doubts consult a hematologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|