Q. Please interpret echo taken for lightheadedness, chest pain, and shortness of breath.

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu
This is a premium question & answer published on May 31, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2020

A 56-year-old patient went to his physician for evaluation of recurrent episodes of lightheadedness, chest pain, and shortness of breath with exertion. One week earlier, he experienced an episode of syncope while walking up the stairs of his house.

Vitals:

Heart rate - 116 bpm,

BP - 164/102 mmHg.

Respiratory rate - 18.

Weight - 247 lbs.

Laboratory exams: Troponin level - normal, hypercholesterolemia, hypertriglyceridemia.

Imaging: Doppler echocardiogram demonstrates a significantly stenotic aortic valve and plaques within the coronary arteries.

From the given information, which among his findings show abnormal results? What is the possible diagnosis of the patient? What type of muscle tissue is associated? What type of valve is the aortic valve and cite its function? How does the plaque build-up affect the function of the coronary arteries?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

#

Did he lose consciousness while walking upstairs? Is he a diabetic?

His cholesterol report seems abnormal, along with hypertension and uncontrolled blood pressure. His color Doppler report showing aortic stenosis.

Possible diagnosis is age-related atherosclerosis with severe aortic stenosis with dyslipidemia and hypertension. No muscle tissue involved. The major blood vessel called aorta is narrowed.

Aortic valve is a tricuspid semilunar valve that allows oxygenated blood from the left atrium into it. It will supply blood to all parts of the body. Due to age-related atherosclerosis (dyslipidemia and hypertension aggravate it).

|