Q. Abilify is causing dizziness and sleepy feel. Should I lower my dose?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 07, 2020

I have been taking Solian 50 mg and Lorans 1 mg daily for mild schizophrenic thoughts and anxiety. It has been stable for a few years until my period stops because of Solian. My doctor prescribed Abilify 5 mg a few days ago to replace Solian, so my period can be normal again. But I felt very sleepy at work and dizzy. Yesterday, I split the Ablilify 5 mg into halves. I still felt dizzy and sleepy, although less and I have a headache too. Should I further divide the medicine into four quarters? What is the minimum dosage of Abilify? Is there 1 mg? Would sleepiness and headache ease if I take less, say 1 mg? I feel Abilify is so much stronger than Solian. Is that true? If I continue to take Solian and do not have my period, what are its consequences?

#

I can understand your situation. You should take tablet Abilify 5 mg at night and try to stop the tablet Lorans 1 mg. Tablet Loran (Lorazepam) is sedative and anti-anxiety. It is more responsible for sedation rather than the only tablet Abilify. You should try to take tablet Lorazepam half (means 0.5 mg) and if you do not need then try to stop. You will be better on tablet Aripiprazole 5 mg. If you have severe anxiety then you can take as per requirement take tablet Clonazepam mouth dissolving 0.5 mg. There will be no issue if you continue your tablet Solian (Amisulpride) instead of a tablet Abilify. You will have regular menstruation in future after stopping Solian.

You should also try to follow lifestyle changes to live a healthy mental life. It will help you to deal with your mental illness.

Do exercises daily for 30 - 45 minutes like at least going for a walk.

Do meditation for 20 minutes daily, just sit at one place in a comfortable position and try to concentrate on your normal breathing, do not stop or force yourself to stop your thoughts, just let it be.

Eat healthy home-cooked foods, and avoid junk foods.

Spend quality time with friends and family daily or do video calls if you are living away from your family.

You should spend time on creative hobbies like reading good books, writing journals, painting, drawing, learning new skills or language or musical instruments.

You should take enough seven to eight hours of sleep daily.

Avoid tobacco or alcohol or any substance abuse.

| 

I have an anxiety problem from the past 10 years. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, Anxiety is every day of my life. I rarely get small breaks without anxiety. It has been 10 years now. Panic attacks do come. I am taking Xanax 0.5 mg 1 to 3 days. I am a 26 years old male, and my height and weight are 5.9" and 80 kg respectively. Please help.  Read Full »

I have a doubt about the dosage of Sulpitac for schizophrenia. Please help.

Query: Hello Doctor, My brother (aged 18 years) has schizophrenia since two years. (Note : My father has schizophrenia who is under medication for nearly 25 to 30 years). The tablets prescribed by the doctor were Mirtaz 15 and Sulpitac 50. During this period he had an increased appetite and was obese. He ...  Read Full »

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article

What should I take to relieve Flagyl induced constipation?
Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I am trying to overcome constipation caused by the Flagyl antibiotic, and I do...  Read more»
How long should my dad continue the same dosage of medicines after a stent surgery?
Hello doctor, My father had a heart stent operation six months ago. Doctor prescribed some medicines, and still, he is u...  Read more»