Q. Can allergic asthma turn into permanent asthma?

Dr. Kartik Sood

I am 29 years old now. I have allergic asthma for last 6 to 7 years but in very mild form (mild suffocation and coughing for 2 to 3 days, once in three months). It used to get triggered by an old house (old book or newspaper dust) or distemper and paints or orange flavored drinks. But since last one month, frequency and magnitude both have increased. Yesterday, for no possible reason known to me, it got triggered.

My query is can such allergic asthma turn into permanent asthma? I want to avoid any long-term course until extremely important. What is my option to tackle or control and reduce above symptoms, with mostly home remedies, diet control exercise and minimum synthetic medicines? Nose bleeding in childhood, frequent nasal blockage till the age of 21.

Do you have a question on Asthma or Nasal Bleeding?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Kartik Sood

MD PULMONARY MEDICINE
Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)

As per your symptoms, you are suffering from bronchial asthma with allergic rhinitis, but you need to confirm this by doing a spirometry with reversibility test.

Asthma is a disease related to hypersensitivity of our respiratory system to some allergens which cause triggering, inflammation in the respiratory mucosa. Undoubtedly you need to take medications else symptoms will get worse as your age advances. So visit a chest physician. I am a practicing chest specialist so I know the pros and cons of the disease.

See this asthma is a genetic disease acquired during childhood, and any genetic disease means in genes and currently we in our medical field we are under research for a permanent cure like answers in this genetic diseases field, so my opinion would be visiting a pulmonologist or a chest physician for proper work up and guidance. Chest physician can do a spirometry and total serum IgE levels and as per your need will prescribe you some inhaled medications like long-acting beta 2 agonists and inhaled corticosteroids and maybe some oral steroids as per need which can help you with minimum side effects. Maybe you will need those medications for some duration like three months a year at maybe long or on changing seasons.

For more information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

My 3.3 year old son has allergic rhinitis. Can I use Budecord inhaler?
Query: Hello doctor, My son is 3.3 years old. Last year, he had three episodes of allergic rhinitis and one episode of allergic conjunctivitis. This year, our pediatrician asked us to get an¬†allergy test done, and he put my son on Momeflo, Nukast 4, and Levolin inhaler. We found out that he is allergic to...  Read Full »
Dr. Anshuman Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Asthma can sometimes present as cough and allergic reactions in the skin. This is called atopy. You are doing right by avoiding the potential allergens. There are two types of treatment in asthma, and one is steroid and other is a beta-agonist. It depends on the severity ...  Read Full »

How to Stop Nose Bleeds?
Article Overview: Bleeding from the nose or epistaxis is a very common condition and usually nothing to worry about. This article discusses the steps for managing an active nose bleed.  Read Article »
Dr. Jagdish Chaturvedi

Why does the Nose Bleed? It is common in children during hot and dry weather conditions.  Bleeding of up to 50-100 mL is common in bleeding due to dryness. This happens because of disturbance in the mucociliary clearance which means that the hair like cells that form the ...  Read Article »

What to Do If You or Your Child Suddenly Start Bleeding from the Nose?
Article Overview: Epistaxis is a common medical condition, bringing the patient to the ER. If the bleeding is profuse, it can be life-threatening. One needs to be aware of the causes and the immediate first-aid to be given in such cases.  Read Article »
Dr. Vaishali Mehta

Epistaxis means bleeding from the nose. Nasal bleeding can occur due to various reasons. In a child with a habit of nose picking, it is not uncommon for the nose to bleed. An adolescent male bleeding profusely should be investigated to rule out a tumor called angiofibroma. In an elderly person, a r ...  Read Article »

Ask a Doctor Now