Q. Why does my kid get frequent colds?

Dr. Samreen A Urooj
Published on Mar 31, 2018

My 4 year old daughter is frequently suffering from cold. In turn, she develops a bacterial infection. In the last three months, she has six bacterial infections. Her doctor gives her antibiotic medicines. She has chronic cough now and Budecort was suggested for three months Asthalin if cough. I need to know why she has frequent cold. The doctor suggests it is allergic, but no idea to what. There is no family history of asthma. I am worried about my daughter. She has developed this after two and a half years of being healthy.

Does allergic cold happen due to the local home environment? My flat is in the first floor and near a hill. Nights are extremely cold. I have an oil-filled room heater. My kitchen has some leakage and a fungal smell comes out. Is this the reason for frequent allergy? Please suggest if I need to change my flat.

#

I went through in detail regarding your daughter's problem.

According to me, the reason for her frequent chest congestion and repeated cough is not her bacterial infection. It is because her allergy level is high. Although you do not have any asthmatic in the family, your surrounding environment is not favorable to her. That is why she is continuously having cough off and on.

These symptoms come under the heading of childhood asthma and medications which your daughter is using is actually the required treament. Try to clean the nearby environment in which she is living. There should be no smell of oil or any antifungal spray or any sort of smell which provoke her symptoms.

So, try to avoid triggering factors of asthma as much as you can and add up one medicine, namely Myteka (Montelukast) tablet 5 mg at night time daily for three months to prevent future attacks of asthma.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Thanks doctor,

Dust mites are not there. Some kind of smell is there due to wood burning, but that is not regular. Shall I add HEPA filter in my flat, at least in the bedroom? For cold weather, I bought an oil-filled room heater.

Montair 4 mg tablets is already there, I forgot to mention. If her health issue is local, how can I medically stop this? As it is not possible to relocate somewhere else.

Currently, it is summer. Still, she has a cold even though it is not too cold outside. Last year, we did allergy testing but IgE is not showing any allergic reactions.

She usually breathes through the mouth at night. Her adenoids X-ray also suggest they are not big in size. Shall I try with a/c and HEPA filter to keep the room smell free and pollen-free? Or, should I wait until she turns 6, so that her immunity becomes better?

Does hillside have more pollen and pollutant air than the plains? Previously, we used to live 2 km from our current home when she was 2 and a half years. Until then, no such health issues were there. After that, we moved to a new flat and she has a constant cold. Please suggest better options apart from moving to another place.

#

Do not move anywhere.

1. Try to complete the three months course of Montelukast and continue using steroids inhaler twice a day along with proper cleaning of room and your home.
  2. Do not use powder or perfume.
  3. Try to give her medicines especially her inhalers on time.
  4. Use an exhaust fan in the room for proper ventilation and watch.
  5. Give her Flixonase nasal spray (Fluticasone) at night time in both nares to prevent blocked nose.

Inhaler Budecort is two times, Asthalin if cough, Allegra syrup if cold for five days and Montair 4 mg tablet for three months one tablet at night. All the above medicines two months. This same treatment we did last year as well. In recent months, regularly she has fever. She had simple febrile convulsions six months back. My point is, how to build immunity? As each week sickness is too much. I am giving Allegra and inhaler almost every week. Does this impact badly as side effects? Allopathy seems helpless to address this issue.

#

Do not lose hope. Your daughter will be fit one day. Just wait for two months. You have just started Montelukast. So, it will take time to show response and one thing, you can add any vitamin B complex syrup along with lunch and dinner. This multivitamin will increase her immunity.

Coming to the second issue of fever, mostly fever appears due to a dehydrated body. Try to hydrate her as much as you can and always take a proper reading of her temperature with a thermometer. If above 100, then give her syrup Panadol 7 ml only.

Good point to note dehydration. It means, we can give more drinking water. Is there any measurable unit of water?

She mostly develops bacterial infection and needs antibiotics. The point is that the bacterial infection plus fever and then medicine continued till 4th of this month. Yesterday, she got fever, that is on the 8th. The same thing happened last month as well. Why repetitive bacterial infections? Can it be due to food? She had convulsions last year. Is the fever due to her medicines? We started using Fresium tablet as well two tablets a day.

The pattern is cold, then cough, then fever, asthma symptoms are extra. If she has a cold, then for how many days to give Allegra? Does my daughter have side effects of antibiotics used frequently (two or three times in a month)? For hydration what extra to give?

#

There is no relationship between fever and Fresium.

Please tell me that fever which you noted is a single spike or comes in continuity? It might be viral, so no need to give antibiotics on every episode of fever.

This time if fever appears, first go for CBC (complete blood count) then start antibiotics and do share report with me too.

My asthmatic mother's X-ray is negative for TB. What else this could be?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has asthma as she used to smoke and live near roads. Her X-ray showed that trachea is in the midline, the cardiac shadow is not enlarged, pulmonary vasculatures are not prominent, hemidiaphragm is flattened, costophrenic sulci are blunted, right lower lung infiltrates presen...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have checked the attached report, along with the data you provided (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your mother has COPD which is a chronic obstructive lung disease due to changes in the lung with age and due to smoking. In COPD the air is entrapped ins...  Read Full

My daughter has cough. Shall I give her Dexona?

Query: Hello doctor, My 5 year old daughter is suffering from a cough and mild fever for the last four days. Doctor prescribed with LCF Syrup and Azithral Syrup, but she is still coughing. Today, when she was sleeping, we heard cracking and wheezing sound and difficulty in breathing. Shall I give her Dexon...  Read Full >>

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please do CBC (complete blood count) and a chest x-ray before starting Dexona (Dexamethasone) as it is a steroid. Also, there may be a history of childhood asthma (hyper-reactive airway disease) and it is better to be sure before giving this medicine. This mostly looks li...  Read Full