Q. Why is there recurrent cough, cold and wheeze in a child?

I have a 2.8-year-old son suffering from recurrent attacks of cough, cold, wheeze. He has been prescribed Levolin, Budecort, Montair. Still, episodes continue. What should we do?

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Your son seems to be suffering from asthma. It is a hypersensitive disorder where the airways are hyper-reactive. The lasting solution is avoidance of triggering factors. The hypersensitiveness cannot be cured by medicines but can be kept to a minimum using steroids and other medications. I suggest you take the medication as told by the doctor. Levolin inhaler is for acute episodes and Budecort is to be used for longer duration. Budecort contains steroid component which reduces airway inflammation, also it has to be tapered before stopping. Tapering means the reduction of dose gradually over days rather than an abrupt stoppage of medication.

Montair contains Montelukast which is leukotriene inhibitor which reduces the concentration of pro-inflammatory substances. The drug is helpful during acute episodes. Try to avoid cold winds, dust, house dust, etc. After kid wakes up, remove the bed-spread and take it out of the house and vigorously shake it to remove all dead skin cells, dust, dirt, etc. Also during windy season construction material from construction sites may trigger asthma episodes. Pollen from the garden can also do the same. One must make a note of the triggering factors so that next time he can avoid those factors.

Adequate nutrition which stresses building the right immunity for your child is very important. Foods rich in green leafy vegetables, carotenoids, ascorbic acid, and all vitamin B complex and minerals are important to build immunity. Taking a portion of amla everyday can help your kid get adequate vitamin C. Provide him with Iron and Potassium rich meal. A strong immunity can help avoid small offending agents. However, the best method is to avoid triggering factors.

|