Q. A hive spot in my thigh is consistent. What treatment would you recommend?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
Published on Feb 16, 2017

I have had hives for a month. They are recurring in my feet, left leg, underarms and face. The rash is in one or more of those places every day. My left thigh has remained inflamed and covered with hives. I have kept a photo diary. I have seen a local dermatologist who did a punch biopsy. I will attach the report here for your reference. What follow-up would you recommend? Is that due to any allergy? I have a consultation in a few weeks with a different doctor. What questions should I ask? What are rare eosinophils? What is your overall impression of the findings? Is there anything that I should concern? Can you explain the histologic findings? I do want you to know that the report has an error. The punch biopsy was taken from my left hip. My abdomen has been completely free of any hives. They also did laboratory work, which was unremarkable. Also, I have a branch duct IPMN. I am 5'6" tall and weight is approximately 150 lbs. I do not smoke or take any medications. Except for the rash, 50 mg Zyrtec three times a day and 75 mg Hydroxyzine at night. I have not changed anything in my environment. Further, I travel extensively for my job and they appear regardless of where I am. Thank you.

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

Your history, clinical description and histopathology (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are most likely suggestive of urticaria.

Urticaria is an immediate hypersensitivity reaction of the skin to various common triggers such as insect bites, infective focus elsewhere in the body, changes in the environment, certain painkillers, some foods such as seafood, peanuts and mushrooms, thyroid disorders, etc.

Although immediate, the effect of each episode tends to last up to four weeks; wherein there will be a delayed release of inflammatory mediators, putting you at further risk for a new episode.

• I would advise you to try and find out the possible triggering factor for the attacks, which usually lies in the activities and exposures of the previous one hour before the episode.
  • You could ask your doctor to help you to find out the risk factors and regarding your term of medication.
  • You could also take a note of the emergency measures need in case you tend to have a severe episode with swelling of lips and face.
  • Rare eosinophils in your biopsy suggest that there are only a few occasional allergic white blood cells in the field.
  • The overall impression is that you are having an episode of urticaria, which very well responds to antihistamines such as Cetirizine and Fexofenadine. However, they need to be taken for a duration of two to four weeks at least.
  • It is a very common skin problem and can be managed comprehensively. Your biopsy confirms the same too.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

The hives on my thigh have never left for two months despite antihistamines, diet and changes in environment. In fact, the area has gotten so bad that it is one giant hive, red and inflamed. And, my face has swelled already and I had bruises. I have included the picture diary. Everywhere else it comes and goes, but the spot in the thigh is consistent.

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

#

The lesion on your thigh looks entirely different (attachment removed to protect patient identity). In urticaria, the lesions are only transient and last less than 24 hours. It is in total contradiction to what you have mentioned.

However, it still looks benign and mostly eczematous in appearance.

The spongiosis found in your biopsy could be a point for an eczema; however, it can even be found in early lesions of urticaria.

The other close differential would be tinea which is a fungal infection.

I would advise you to try a course of topical 2% Miconazole cream for a week and re-assess the response before going for topical steroids.

1. Miconazole cream 2% twice daily over the thigh lesion for a week.
2. Tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg one tablet at night after dinner for a week.

For further information consult a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Please suggest homeopathy medicine for urticaria.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old male. Recently, I have been diagnosed with having urticaria (burning, itching sensations throughout the body from head to toe). It started out in an acute way but is turning out to be chronic. It has been more than two and a half months and I am still suffering from it...  Read Full >>

Dr. Potnuru Srinivaasa Sudhakar
Homeopathic Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your thyroid profile is normal, and serum triglycerides level is a little bit high. For urticaria, in homeopathy, we have best remedies. So, you need not worry about your problem. Your blood ...  Read Full

Is the itchy painful lesion in fingers due to fungal infection?

Query: Hello doctor, Eczema or fungus on right thumb and index, it looks like it is expanding and it leaves apparently dead skin behind which peels off. I have pictures for a better understanding. It itches none to moderately, it hurts slightly when applied pressure on. I am a driver.  Read Full >>

Dr. Rabia

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is more in favor of eczema but infected one. Do you use gloves while holding steering? It is not a fungal infection clinically. You have to apply combination ointment containing Betamethasone and Ne...  Read Full

How to differentiate between scabies, flea bite, bed bug, and folliculitis?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a general practitioner. I struggle to differentiate these conditions: scabies, flea bite, bed bug and folliculitis. I would really appreciate your clinical knowledge and goodwill in enlightening me about this, so I can provide better care for our patients.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your query. Scabies is caused by mites. In this, the patient presents with nocturnal itching with burrows over the web space of hands. In flea bite or bed bug bite, you may find itchy erythematous papules that may be localized or generalized depending u...  Read Full