Q. Will my asthma medicines and IgE levels interfere with the HIV results?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
This is a premium question & answer published on May 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 11, 2021

I had a possible exposure to HIV, five months back. It was exactly on the 45th day I took an HIV fourth generation test, both HIV-1 and HIV-2 were nonreactive. At the 105th day, I took an ELFA HIV 1 and 2 antibody test, which was also nonreactive. I also did a viral load EDTA plasma HIV RNA-PCR test, which was done on the 123rd day, which stated 'not detected.' My symptoms are allergic rashes with higher IgE levels since a year. I am a known asthmatic. I had an anal fissure, following a day of constipation. I also have small red spots on the glans penis, which my dermatologist claims to be ectopic sebaceous cysts. I am taking Alaspan, Methycobal, and Symbicort for asthma. I am recently married and panicked. I have even gone to an extent of killing myself for being restless, out of guilt. Let me know if my medication or my IgE levels would interfere with my HIV results. Can I allay my fears from the above results? Are these tests conclusive?

#

• HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) has a window period of 1 to 3 months, during which the test results can be a false negative.
  • According to WHO (world health organization), all tests are considered conclusive after 12 weeks of the last exposure. As your test results are negative well beyond the window period, you can be assured that you have not acquired any HIV. There is no need for any further testing, and you can rest your fears. 
  • Serum IgE (immunoglobulin E) levels and the corresponding medication do not influence the result for HIV. The method that has been employed in your testing is highly sensitive and specific. Hence, there is no need to worry.
  • The anal fissure is probably a consequence of constipation, and your genitals look normal. You can lead a happy marital life.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|