Q. I feel heavy in head with ringing in ears, chills, and nausea. Please suggest a diagnosis.

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

About two years ago, I had a series of recurring malaria fever. But the doctor suggested a urine MCS test. The result showed I had an infection (UTI). I was treated, but the UTI recurred, and treated again.

I had a motor vehicle accident six years ago, which resulted in a head concussion. Therefore, a CT scan conducted showed that I had a right maxillary sinus polyp. Another follow up CT scan was conducted. The result showed the same thing, right maxillary sinus polyp. Furthermore, an MRI scan was conducted. The result was normal brain MRI, rhinitis, and right maxillary polyp.

These are the symptoms I am currently experiencing:

Heavy headedness or pressure in the head, around the face, and behind my ears, ringing in the ears (sometimes it pops out loudly and then disappears), headaches (with shifting location) top of the head, side of the head, occasional throbbing headaches (sharp headaches and a few mild ones), mild nausea, occasional chills (from the face to the rest of the body), and disturbed sleep with occasional insomnia.

These symptoms have greatly affected my work and social life. Please suggest a diagnosis and what is the treatment for my medical condition.

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I have read your words carefully. According to the CT scan, the sinus polyp is not huge enough to cause a strong throbbing headache.

The polyp can be treated by intranasal corticosteroid spray or even surgery in case of medical treatment failure. The other symptoms like chills, throbbing headaches, and disrupted sleep are neurological symptoms which need a Neurologist. Although the brain MRI report is normal, we still need a neurologist.

You need to perform a tympanometry and pure tone audiometry to assess the condition of your middle ears, eustachian tube, and cochlear nerves to discover the cause of the ringing sound sensation.

| 

I want to know if rhinitis that was mentioned in the MRI report is not connected with the chills, throbbing headaches, and ringing in the ears.

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Acute rhinitis can cause headaches, ringing ears, and fever but not chills. Even the ringing sound with rhinitis is not loud and not continuous for days. Do you get a colored mucus from your nose or throat? Is it green, blue, or yellow mucus? The point is that rhinitis is not a radiological diagnosis only but also a clinical diagnosis.

|