Q. My 1. 8 year old son is just swallowing the food instead of munching it. Kindly advice.

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jun 30, 2019

My son is 1.8 years old. He is not munching the food. He is just swallowing food very difficultly. Food will not touch his teeth too. When he was eight months, I started to give all foods in pure form. I will grind all the vegetables and rice to give him. I feel like there I started my mistake. When he was one year, I began to give in solid form.

But he is not munching just swallowing it. I have to mash all the solids foods with hand and give. Kindly help me. I am very worried about him. He fears too much, even for the biscuit. He will try to eat a cookie, but he will put it down then. Kindly let me know what should I do. He is not eating any snacks and chappathi. Always this is going in my mind. Please help.

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

This is typical behavior in this age group, which will change as you teach your kid. But we need to rule out is there any problem with the dentition and tongue.

1. Meet your family doctor to check for any dental problems or tongue tie or oral problems.

2. Continue the same type of food. Gradually give one item at a time for a week then the next item gives semisolid food, then solid foods, reduce the number of liquid food items continuously.

3. Do not worry, he will learn.

What is the reason for constant crying and improper sleep in a 1-month-old baby?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having a 1-month-old baby and been facing several issues. He is crying a lot even after feeding him properly, burping him, checking his diaper, making him comfortable and ruling out other health issues and having a hard time in consoling him. We have tried pacifiers for him but avoi...  Read Full >>

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your history, it seems you are taking excellent care of the child. Good. Now for your queries. Children below the age of 6 months sleep in the day and stay awake at night. It is normal. There is no medicine for the same. As regards to consoling a baby, you can use...  Read Full

HIV - Common Questions Answered

Article Overview: Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) is the virus that causes HIV infection and AIDS (Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome). There are two types of HIV viruses, HIV-1 and HIV-2, which belong to the retrovirus group. AIDS is the most advanced form of HIV infection.  Read Article

Dr. K Sneha
HIV AIDS Specialist

What is HIV? Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) is the virus that causes HIV infection and AIDS (Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome). There are two types of HIV viruses, HIV-1 and HIV-2, which belong to the retrovirus group. This virus also has numerous subtypes. These viruses can only reproduce wi...  Read Article

How to know if a baby is getting the right amount of milk?

Query: Hi doctor, How to know if a baby is getting the right amount of milk?  Read Full >>

Dr. Simy Mathew
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The ways to know if the baby is getting an adequate amount of feed are as follows. The baby sleeps well for two hours post an adequate feed. Baby passes 6 to 8 times urine. Baby has a weight gain of 25 to 30 gm per day. These are the three main points determining the ad...  Read Full