Q. Is it rational to give syrup Lactulose to infants for treating constipation?

Dr. Samir Bhatia

My baby daughter is 4.5 months old. She suffers from immense constipation for the last three to four days since she is taking frequent formula feed due to growth spurt. She is trying hard but unable to pass stool. Finally, she is passing stool once a day in a minimal quantity. Earlier she was given syrup Lactulose for 15 days when she was having stool problems. Is it rational to give syrup Lactulose once daily for some days?

#

I hope you are safe. Thank you for the detailed history.

Kindly tell me if there is any associated complaint of abdominal distention? Is the child passing normal urine? Is there any fever?

Constipation is a common problem for children of this age. Dietary changes like avoiding milk products should be started when no other cause is found. If needed, you can give milk with honey.

Give a fiber-rich diet, fresh fruits, and plenty of liquids. You can try apple or pear juices as they are beneficial.

If it does not work, we will start medications. You have to use it for at least three months because only then the bowel habit gets regularized. It is a lengthy treatment, but please stick to it.

Avoid high-calorie food like sugar, fries, etc.

The weight of your daughter is also significantly less. Try to improve her diet as that will improve the general well-being as well.

Kindly revert with the above information, and I will help in this regard.

|