Q. Is Mefenamic acid the right medicine for baby with fever?

Dr. Payas Joshi

My baby is having fever ranging from 100 to 104 F which subsides after taking Mefenamic acid of dosage 60 mg per 11 kg of body weight. There are no other obvious symptoms except fever. What should I do? Please suggest me the course of treatment.

Dr. Payas Joshi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Since when is this happening? Is there any difficulty in breathing? Is the child feeding well?

It seems just viral fever, I would say just give Paracetamol every six to eight hourly. Do not give Mefenamic acid if it gets controlled with PCM.

| 

It is happening for the past 48 hours. The fever started with 99 F and slowly it is increasing and now it is 104 F. Due to city emergency shutdown we are left with few options as all the OPD clinics are also shut. The feeding of the baby is normal and there is no difficulty in breathing and she is active. Hardly there are any other symptoms. What dosage of Paracetamol do you suggest and at what interval? Currently, I have only Meft-100 available with me.

Dr. Payas Joshi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

I understand your concern. Do not worry. I will try to help you from here. Do not panic.

Give plenty of fluids. Start giving Paracetamol syrup (125 mg per 5 ml ) 6 ml every six hours. Also, do sponging with normal water if fever is not controlled with PCM. You can add Mefenamic acid later 50 mg every eight hourly if the fever does not subside with PCM. Do monitor for dehydration, activity, urine output, etc. Most important check for difficulty in breathing.

| 

My father has viral fever associated with delirium. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 57 years old. He is having 102.3 fever and also some confusion and disorientation. The physician he consulted did blood work and concluded it to be viral but the delirium started after the consultation. Getting worried. I can send the blood reports across. Please help.  Read Full »

Paracetamol for Fever

Query: Hello doctor, Is fever an immune response of the body to act as defense mechanism against infection, why is Paracetamol prescribed to reduce temperature?What will be happen, if not used?  Read Full »

Can I give Paracetamol with Dolowin Plus to a child for fever?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter has a fever for the last two days. She has tonsils. The doctor has given half Dolowin Plus twice a day and Ziprax 100 DT twice a day. Yesterday she had 103 fever. Fever does not come down by Dolowin Plus. So I gave Meftal P 100 mg. But in the night and the day she did not ...  Read Full »