Q. My son gets recurrent sickness and he is weak. Is this due to bacterial infection?

Dr. Sudhakar Palanisamy

I only want to show my child test reports and want to know the reason for his sickness. He is getting sick anytime. Also, he is a bit weak. Please check the attached reports of two different labs and advise me on the problem and the problem in the future. My son is not with me. We are separated family. I am only worried about his health. Is that bacterial infection or something else?

#

I can understand your situation and concern for the child. Let us take one by one.

Reports are relatively fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Nothing to be worried. The report shows your son has some infection, and he is fighting it properly by developing an increased amount of white blood cells (WBC). And neutrophils are not very high, which means it is not an acute severe infection.

Regarding weight, no child should lose weight at any point in time. They can be static at some time. They will lose weight about a max of 500 g to 1 kg during the illness, which they will catchup during subsequent days when their illness settles. So without knowing your son's serial weight, I can comment on this issue. But 99.9% of the time, weight loss is just the perception of parents. They will start to lose their fat at one year and convert them into muscle mass, so the chubby baby, which you know will no longer be chubby (due to natural expected fat loss at this age). You will feel that baby lost weight, but on the contrary, they would have gained weight.

I do not know what do you mean by weak. But if the child has development milestones attained appropriately, then I am sure we are not worried. By now, if he has started to walk with support or at least stand, then we are happy.

There will be mother's antibodies (which fight microbes) present in the baby until six months of age. So until that time, the baby will be fine. After that, from 6 months to 1.5 years, baby will get recurrent infections, fever, cold, etc. which is normal. Some children might get one or two times illness, which lasts for a few days to one week. All are normal. So recurrent infection, which goes on its own without admission, is not a concern for us.

So for now, my advice is, give healthy food (all homemade stuffs are healthy). Please continue breastfeeding if doing already. Give normal homemade diet. No special preparation for child needed at this age (consistency may need to be changed).

|