Q. How to treat umbilical granuloma in a 53 days old baby at home?

Dr. Manu Chandarashekhara Bharadwaj

My son is 53 days old. He has developed umbilical granuloma. I have applied Mupirocin and Neosporin dusting powder, but no change is noticed. Is application of salt will be useful? If so how should I apply that? Someone told me that sometimes granuloma bleeds after application of salt. And I have tried antimicrobial ointments, how many days will it take to action?

#

I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You are right about the diagnosis being umbilical granuloma.

The treatment for it is the application of copper sulfate crystals over the umbilicus for a couple of minutes and then it has to be removed. This may have to be repeated again after two weeks if it has not completely healed.

Application of rock salt also helps but may take longer than copper sulfate application and it may not be as effective as well. I do not think copper sulfate will be available freely in the market. If you can get it, please remember to place a small crystal over the umbilicus for about five minutes and then remove it. Or better, you can take the baby to a pediatrician/pediatric surgeon. It might take about four weeks to heal completely.

The granuloma appears clean and uninfected. So there is no need for anymore antibiotic ointment application. Please let me know what and how you get it done. And do not worry, as long as there is no fluid being secreted from the umbilicus, there is nothing to worry. It heals easily. If you feel there is urine or stools oozing out of the umbilicus, then you have to take the baby to a pediatric surgeon.

Some sticky fluid comes out from it which crusts around it sometimes. Due to the current situation, I will not be able to reach out to a surgeon soon. Is it fine if I go to the doctor a week or so later.

#

Regarding the sticky fluid it is quite natural for such kind of skin to ooze unlike normal skin. But just be sure it is urine.

You can try getting copper sulfate crystals from a hardware shop nearby. If it is not available, then the only source is a hospital. And the crystal that you place on the baby’s umbilicus should not be bigger than 5 square mm. It should be placed on the raw, oozing skin, for about five minutes. Baby will cry at that time, but do not get worried. Please let me know if you have any doubts.

|