Q. Does excruciating back pain in a 37-week pregnant woman mean labor?

Published on Feb 19, 2019

I am 37 weeks pregnant and I have been having excruciating back pain since last night. It does not seem to go away no matter what I do. It hurts to move or do anything. Could I be in labor? And do I need to go to the hospital?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The sudden onset back pain in a full term pregnant patient is likely to be due to lightening when the baby's head goes down in pelvis and the sacrum and coccyx bone extend to accommodate the presenting part. If there is no abdominal tightness and contractions which are of increasing intensity and lasting for more than 15 to 20 seconds each, then unlikely that you are in labor. But it is always recommended to go to the hospital and get yourself evaluated by the obstetrician.

I have back pain due to sitting in front of computer for long hours. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 27 years old male. I was sitting in front of the computer for more than 10 hours per day for past one month. I have mild pain in my lower back, not a constant pain. the pain either left side or right side but the right side is more time the pain always shift its position. and whil...  Read Full >>

Dr. Jayaprakash Reddy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). According to your complaints, I will suggest you few things. Do not sit in front of the computer for a long time not more than one hour after that at least walk for 2 to 3 minutes and you can get...  Read Full

Positive Thoughts for a Healthy Pregnancy

Article Overview: Pregnancy is a time when the whole family feels elated. But, for the mother, it is a time when she witnesses many changes taking place inside, both physically and mentally. So, it is easy to feel overwhelmed. Let us read some tips to stay positive during pregnancy. Read Article

Dr. Indhupriyadharshini

Pregnancy is the most beautiful feeling in the world, but it also brings with it a lot of confusions and questions. Here, we have some tips to deal with this period of mixed emotions. Scientifically, there are two types of changes in pregnancy. They are - Physical changes. Mental changes. Ph...  Read Article