Q. I have pain in vertebrae for 8 months while bending down. Could it be fracture?

Dr. Anuj Gupta

I have had mild pain from one of my vertebrae for about eight months. It is one of the thoracic vertebrae. I am not certain of which one it is approximately in the middle of my back. It feels slightly sore when I bend backward. Also, if I press with my thumb on the spinous process. I am wondering if it could be a fracture and I worry a little bit about bone cancer. There is no lump. It does not hurt unless I move a certain way. I think it might have started when I was doing some yoga poses lying on the floor.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

Eight months period is quite a long time and I feel you should not ignore it. A few things I want to know. Do you have any other ailment, like diabetes or hypertension or hypothyroidism? What you do and how much physical activity you have in your daily routine? Have you noticed fever and weight loss in these eight months?

| 

The only other significant health problems I have are:

1. Diagnosed with osteoarthritis in the fingers about 10 years ago. It has not affected anywhere else. Just some restricted range of movement and mild pain on bending the proximal interphalangeal joints. Not on any treatment for it.

2. Idiopathic thrombocytopenia. Not on any medication for this.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

Well, there could be three things responsible for your pain. One is osteoporosis, not very commonly seen in males but yes it can be seen if the patient has long-standing chronic disease.

Secondly, any infection. The possibility of this is less.

Third is mechanical back pain. You have answered only one of my questions. I have also asked what you do and how much physical activity you have in your daily routine? Any fever or weight loss in these eight months?

| 

I work in IT so I am sitting at a desk all day. I go for a short walk some days (about 15 minutes) but nothing much otherwise. No fever or weight loss.

As I said, this does not cause me any pain unless I press on the bone or arch my back. If I do this, it feels like it is bruised or something.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

Well, considering your profession and your physical activity, it is most likely to be mechanical. You should improve your work ergonomics. Good posture is the most important thing.

Second thing, you should walk for 45 minutes or 4 km at a stretch daily. This will help you to build up your core muscles. I am not aware of the situation of Covid-19 in your country but if any physiotherapist is accessible then you can go to him for SWD (short wave diathermy) or IFT (interferential therapy). But the above two things are the most important part of treatment.

| 

I do not want to go to the doctor due to Covid-19 being around. I will try walking more and hopefully that will help.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

Yes, that is why I have told you simple ways of treating. Keep the computer at eye level at your workplace. Keep changing the posture every 40-45 minutes. Do not slouch. Use a good chair with good backrest.

Walking for 45 minutes at a stretch, you will notice results in a few weeks. If not then kindly get back to me.

| 

Related Video

Had cervical polypectomy and experiencing back pain. Will it subside in time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin....  Read Full »

Can my back pain be due to the tethered spinal cord?

Query: Hello doctor, It is about nine months since I have had L4 hemilaminectomy, L5 foraminotomy and drilling of bone fracture at L4-L5 level. I had an MRI two months later due to severe pain. The MRI report presented inflammation and edema of the back muscles, inflammation of nerve roots, compressi...  Read Full »

Ayurvedic Approach to Osteoporosis

Article Overview: The bones become weak and brittle in osteoporosis, that even minor injury leads to fracture. Anyone can develop osteoporosis but it is very common among women over the age of 50 years. Read Article

Dr. Revathi Sundaramurthy

Osteoporosis is a degenerative bone disorder. In this disorder, the density of bone is decreased leading to bone weakness and fractures. What Causes Osteoporosis? Low levels of calcium, phosphorous and vitamin D. In menopausal woman, due to lack of oestrogen osteoporosis occurs. A...  Read Article

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now