Q. What is the cause of my upper back pain?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli
Published on Jun 20, 2018

I have been experiencing discomfort and pain in the upper right side of my back leading to my neck for about a week. Ice, heat, cream, and Ibuprofen do not seem to work. Now, the discomfort and the pain has circulated off and on from my back to my abdominal area and my torso. Could this be related to stress, or could this be related to having gas in your body or is it ulcer related?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

Your symptoms are suggestive of GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). I advise you do an upper GI (gastrointestinal) endoscopy to know the cause.

I suggest you take tablet Pantop (Pantoprazole) 40 mg once daily for 14 days.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

It is funny you said that because I had an anal endoscopy procedure five months ago. No cancer was found at all. But, I was told that I had high-grade lesions that may lead to cancer in a couple of years. I am due back in a week to get settled for treatment options to prevent it. Could it be precancerous cells that are trying to come up?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

What you had undergone was a colonoscopy which is different from an endoscopy. Unless a biopsy was done we cannot say if it was cancerous or not. Colonoscopy is the endoscopic examination of the large bowel and the distal part of the small bowel.

I want to know whether colonoscopy was done as a screening procedure or just as a routine checkup. There are a few indications for colonoscopy. It is usually not done as a regular procedure.

There are a few indications like bleeding per rectum, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, chronic diarrhea, or constipation, etc. Let me know if you had any of these.

Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease: Signs and Symptoms,Treatment,Complications

Article Overview: Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) results in heartburn, as the stomach acids regurgitate into the esophagus. Learn about its symptoms, risk factors, and treatment. Read Article

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) occurs due to the gastric acid refluxing back up the esophagus (food pipe)./p> Symptoms Heartburn or pain in the chest or upper abdomen, which is more pronounced, on lying down with a full stomach. Nausea. Coughing and ...  Read Article

Taking Pantoprazole for GERD. Is any drug interactions between Pantoprazole and Voltaren?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on 40 mg Pantoprazole twice a day for GERD. I just took 50 mg Voltaren for a bad back and I am worried sick. I checked online and it said no drug interactions. I have not yet taken my nightly dose of Pantoprazole, should I not take it?  Read Full »

How can I treat the pain a little left under my Adam's apple?

Query: Hello doctor, There is pain under Adam's apple a little to the left. I have a history of acid reflux. There is a pain in the throat with acid reflux. I did see an ENT about two years ago. Everything was fine except for swollen vocal cords due to the acid reflux. I also had thyroid studies and ...  Read Full »