Q. What is the exact problem with my mother's back pain?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My mother, who is 60 years old, was having back pain for approximately 5 to 6 years. Now, she is having severe back pain while standing and the pain is not receding. We went for an MRI scan and I have attached the report with this query. I want to know the exact problem and the possible treatment for this condition. Thank you in advance.

#

Thanks for your query. You have mentioned pain in your mother's back region since 5 to 6 years for which she has been managed conservatively till now. I have also gone through the MRI reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which have been attached by you.

• The MRI shows degenerative age-related changes at L3-L5 region of your mother's lower back with instability at L4-L5 level.
  • This means that there is pressure on the spinal cord and hence, nerves along with some amounts of bony instability are contributing to her pain.
  • For me to actually answer your issues in detail, I would like to know a few details from you.
  • What is the intensity of pain on a scale of 1-10? Is there any associated radiating pain in the legs, any numbness, weakness or paresthesias (altered sensations), etc?
  • How much distance can she walk on a daily basis and what are her analgesic requirements?
  • Also, I would like to understand whether there are any associated motor or sensory issues that needs a detailed neurological examination and can be done either by a trained spinal surgeon or even a physical therapist.
  • Also, MRI images and one x-ray of LS (lumbosacral) spine anteroposterior and lateral (flexion and extension) views are required. Once I have all the details, I should be able to tell you how we need to proceed with her case.

Spinal degeneration.

MRI LS spine images, x-ray LS spine - AP and lateral views.

Revert back with the investigation reports to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|