Q. Will kidney infection cause back pain?

Dr. Eriol Braholli
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 15, 2020

Hello doctor,

I went to the ER two days ago due to excruciating pain in my back, which I thought was caused by herniated disc. I have received a steroid injection and pain medication. This morning I noticed the pain has moved upward towards my kidneys. Could this be a kidney infection? Please note that this pain was the worst I ever experienced. I was in tears for two days. Please help me.

#

• Such immediate terrible pain might be caused by both herniated disc and urinary tract problems such as kidney stones, urinary tract infection, etc.
  • Have you done any tests or examinations in the ER (emergency room)?
  • I would suggest you a few simple examinations to come closer to the real cause.  
  1. Direct x-ray of the spine and urinary tract.
  2. Abdominal and urinary tract ultrasound examination.
  3. Complete urine count too would give a lot of information.
  • The treatment consists in painkillers in both cases, but additional different drugs are used in each case.

Revert back with the reports to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|