Q. I have backache for the past few years. What could be the cause?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

I am getting continuous backache for the past two years. Massaging at the site of pain helps a lot with the pain. The pain is not always in one spot. The location of the pain is all over the back. It is not on the spine. The pain location moves with the massage. I have Parkinson's disease and I have heart pacemaker.

Kindly help.

#

I have read your query and I can understand your concern.

You mentioned a history of back pain for two years.

There are many causes of chronic low back pain (CLBP) like degenerative conditions of the lumbar spine, metabolic causes like osteoporosis, referred pain to the back, muscle strain, risk factors like obesity, occupation, and sedentary lifestyle, increasing age, etc.

- Have you done any investigations like X-ray for the lumbar spine, imaging modality like CT (computed tomography) or MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), Vitamin D level?

- Do you experience any radiation of pain to the lower limb in the thigh or leg?

- Is there any aggravating and relieving factor that increases or decreases pain?

I would suggest you the following:

1) Since there is chronic low back pain and if it is bothering you on a daily basis you should visit your primary care doctor to get an opinion regarding the cause and the doctor may recommend investigations to find the etiology of the CLBP.

2) Apply a heating pad at the site of pain.

3) I suggest applying pain reliever ointment and massage over the back.

4) I suggest taking a pain reliever medicine or Skeletal Muscle Relaxant medicine if low backache is due to muscle spasm.

5) Maintain a correct posture which helps in relieving pain.

6) Properly guided exercise would help to ease tense muscles of the back.

7) Prevent those movements around the spine which aggravates pain or backache.

8) Best advice would be to find the cause of the chronic low back pain and the treatment has to be done accordingly.

Please follow-up if necessary for further guidance.

Take care.

Thanks.

|