Q. What is the best surgery for superficial basal cell carcinoma?

Dr. Dilip Kumar Meena

I have moles on my hand, and it bubbles when exposed to the sun. I did a biopsy, and the result came back as superficial basal cell carcinoma. I am a fair skin person with maximum sun exposure. Do I need surgery with wide margins, or will smaller margins be fine?

Thanks.

#

I can understand your concern. The resection margin for BCC (basal cell carcinoma) depends on various factors, including type and size of BCC, histology, site, etc. Based on these factors, BCC is divided into low and high-risk carcinoma. Superficial BCC is a histological indicator of a low-risk type of BCC. Margin taken in low-risk BCC is typically 3 to 4 mm. Suppose your treating center has the facility of Mohs micrographic surgery, consider doing it. So you will not require wider margin excision.

Take care.

|