Q. Can lack of iron cause anemia symptoms in a beta thalessemia minor patient?

I have minor beta thalassemia which I got from my mother, but unlike her (asymptomatic), I have anemia symptoms like paleness, shortness of breath after the least effort, feeling tired all the time, broken nails and I want to know if it could be due to lack of iron? Could people with minor beta thalassemia also get iron deficiency anemia? Knowing that I get heavy cycles and my diet is very poor.

#

I have reviewed your query and here is my advise.

Yes, your symptoms point towards iron deficiency anemia. In beta thalassemia minor patient usually feels more fatigue on exertion as compared to normal people without thalassemia. However do not worry regarding thalassemia minor, they can live a normal life.

Thalassemia people can develop iron deficiency anemia secondarily. So rule it out by CBC profile with blood indices as well. You can revert back with reports so that I can guide you further.

|