Q. Doctors suggested to get my father admitted due to bipolar depression. Is it essential?

Dr. Bn Bhagat
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

My dad went into a kind of depression last year. It has been a year now, and he still has not come out of it. Nor have there been signs of improvement. During the earlier months, it was just fright and anxiousness. He would cry and stuff. During the middle months, it turned more into a fear (fear of disease, heart failure, etc.). But one short outing somewhere like a wedding or something, and he would be better. Off late since the lockdown started, it got a little worse. He complains about different things (chest pain, leg pain, shortsightedness, etc.). And he has been crying every day, thinking his time has come. At times he would be quiet and calm (note that this does not mean he would be happy. He would stop crying), but then sometimes the attack comes back. It never completely goes.

He has been given a light dose of some tablets. And he was asked to get admitted within four days. If they did not work, the doctor said it could be bipolar. Sorry for not giving complete information. I have not told my mother I would be asking a doctor online. They are thinking of taking him to another psychiatrist on Sunday for a second opinion about his admission. I thought I would get one from a doctor here. Kindly give your opinion.

#

The symptoms which you have mentioned point towards psychiatric illness. First of all, you should take him to visit the psychiatric doctor. The doctor will examine him thoroughly through medical history, progression of symptoms, duration of symptoms, and other vital examinations to arrive at some specific diagnosis. All the above history are needed to make a diagnosis. Any triggering factor, if present, should be addressed. Only after a specific diagnosis can treatment be started, and the patient should adhere to it. Any organic cause should be ruled out. With treatment, after diagnosis is made, symptoms would be under control, and the patient should be under the supervision of the treating doctor.

I hope this was helpful.

Is a psychiatric doctor different from a psychologist? Kindly guide me.

#

A psychiatrist is a trained, specialized medical doctor who works on the medication part to treat illness. Psychologists focus extensively on psychotherapy and treat the emotional aspect of it. Any psychiatric illness could involve the intervention of both doctors for the complete well-being of the patient.

I hope this was helpful.

|