Q. Any advice on going off low dosage bipolar medications?

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Choudhary and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Bipolar Disorder or Dosage & Duration? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 56 year old male. I was diagnosed bi-polar, as part of an attempt to save a failing marriage and took a low dose of Carbamazepine (200 mg) and Lamotrigine (100 mg) for about six years and during that time felt fine. During another relationship that I should have ended much sooner, the dosage was increased. I followed up with counseling, which was very helpful and lowered the dosage down to what my psychiatrist said was not really clinically high enough to do any good (100 mg and 25 mg), but he felt I should have something in my system in case I needed it and could build up to a higher dose quicker. I continued at this low dosage for several years and recently sought a second opinion and another psychiatrist said I should try going off the medication since the dosage was so low and my lab results showed very low levels of the Carbamazepine. I am willing to give it a try, what do you think? I workout often, have a stable job, a stable relationship, family in the area, etc.