Q. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?

Dr. Krishan Kumar Sharma
Published on Apr 22, 2019

I am 18 years old and I do not know what is wrong with me. I think I have severe depression and anxiety, but obviously, that cannot be 100 % accurate. The thing is, I think I am depressed, but there are times where I feel on top of the world. Maybe I have bipolar disorder? I do not know. I have been researching a lot lately and I have watched videos of people experiencing a maniac episode and I feel like sometimes I act like that. I am not sure though. It would really help if I could talk to a professional, but I am scared of asking my parents to see one. I know they would probably say yes and accept me but I have just always been closed off. So, now I am here. Please help.

#

Ideally, you should collect the courage to tell your problem to parents because you are still very young. If not comfortable with parents some close relative or friend or free helpline. Making the diagnosis of depression, the symptoms must present for at least two weeks regularly. Sometimes we see someone close to us suffering from any disease and try to find or check yourself for these symptoms, remain anxious with their thought, later that thought can lead to depression. One more easy way to decide is to ask yourself whether normal functioning is hampered. If the answer is yes you should go to a psychiatrist as early as possible.

Again saying that taking help from the parent is the best option in front of you. Do not be afraid of the treatment. It is very simple and easy to treat depression nowadays.

Taking medicines for bipolar disorder, but unable to sleep. Is there any suggestions?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having bipolar disorder, on lithosun 1200mg, fluoxetine 20mg for the last 1 year. Working night shift since last month. Unable to maintain proper sleep. Please guide me.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query at icliniq. Fluoxetine is not the kind of medication that needs to be taken for straight one year in bipolar disorder except in some rare cases. Problem with sleep may indicate towards relapse of mania or mixed episode. At this moment you need to talk to a psych...  Read Full

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article

Are my symptoms related to bipolar disorder or schizophrenia?

Query: Hello doctor, Since I was around 8 years old, I have experienced mood fluctuations but not in the normal bipolar way (which I am being tested for). I do not feel like my mood sways between depression and mania. It is always some level of mania but without depression. I also experience tactile hallu...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, your psychiatrist is correct. Bipolar is a more likely diagnosis. Bipolar disorder need not be present with depression and mania both. Recurrent mania also comes under the category of bipolar disorder. In mania, our sensitivity to stimulation increases like colo...  Read Full