Q. I get mild bleeding after sex. Please help.

Dr. Deepali Raina

I want to ask an obstetrician regarding my slight bleed after having contact with my partner. Please advise.

#

This is called post-coital bleeding. This is always a matter of slight concern. It may usually be due to local vaginal infection, but occasionally it may happen due to pre-cancerous lesions in the cervix.

I will be able to answer better if I can know your cervical cancer vacation status. When was your last PAP smear test? Do you have regular periods?

My period is regular every month. I had intercourse five days after my last period and noticed slight bleeding the next day.

#

I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This does not look like frank blood. However, it is best to go for a cervical examination in these cases. Doctor will put a small instrument speculum inside your vagina and look at your cervix and vagina. It is a painless thing.

Mostly, there is just a simple infection that is easily treatable. If she finds a gross abnormality, she may take a biopsy or insist on a colposcopy, which is also a well-tolerated OPD procedure.

If there is no abnormality, then only a PAP smear and HPV test will be done. You have to remember that prevention is always better than cure. Also, you may plan the Gynecologist visit in a week. It is not that kind of urgency. So do not panic.

|