I am a 35-year-old female suffering from diabetes, and I have noticed bleeding from my gums after brushing recently. Please advise.

Q. Can gum bleeding occur due to vitamin deficiency in a diabetic female?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on May 04, 2023 and last reviewed on: Jun 21, 2023

I am a 35-year-old female. I have diabetes and am taking medications for it. I was able to see blood bleeding from my gums after brushing recently. I brush my teeth twice a day and gargle my mouth with mouthwash everyday morning. So, how can I get these bleeding gums even after maintaining my oral hygiene? Does this indicate vitamin deficiency or poor oral hygiene maintenance in me?

#

I understand your concern.

Diabetic patients have swollen spongy gums usually which bleed more often due to inflammation. Even if you maintain oral hygiene it is important that you get your teeth and gums cleaned by a dentist every six months and control your diabetes as low as possible. Use warm salt water gargle, it helps better than mouthwash in controlling inflammation.

|