Q. Gum around my lower teeth is swollen and bleed on touch. Why?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 29, 2020

The gum around one of my lower teeth is inflamed for about three days now and it hurts as well, and every time I touch, it starts bleeding. So I swapped my normal toothbrush to a softer one and I am using mouthwash as well, but it is not getting any better. The gum is a bit swollen and the area is a bit darker red as well. Any suggestions? It really bothers me but did not want to rush to a doctor.

#

Bumps or swelling on gums could be:

1. Gum abscess.

2. Tooth abscess.

3. Gingivitis.

4. Accidental toothbrush injury.

If the swelling is reddish and involves the gum edge along with tartar (hardened yellow food deposit), that could be gingivitis or gingival abscess. A scaling and polishing procedure should be done to remove the tartar, after which the gingivitis or the gum abscess will resolve.

If your involved bottom tooth has deep decay, then that swelling could be a tooth abscess. If that is due to accidental toothbrush injury, a deep localized scaling should be done to remove the pus completely.

Please visit your dentist and get it examined to find what is causing your gum swelling. Meanwhile, avoid hot, spicy, and hards foods, which may aggravate your pain and swelling. Warm saline mouth rinses thrice daily will help to prevent further infection and manage pain.

|