Q. What are the steps to take to prevent bleeding gums?

Dr. Bharat Joshi

For the past few days, I do not remember exactly; I noticed that whenever I brush my teeth, there is blood in the spit. I also ignored, as it happened in the past when I used a new toothbrush. But it continued, so showing you the photo. There is one spot I circled in the photo where the blood comes out when pressing.

Please advise on what steps to take.

#

Please be calm. As per the clinical picture (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), it is gingival enlargement due to infection or trauma. It will require scaling and curettage. I suggest you please get the required treatment. First, scaling followed by curettage or gingivectomy. After that, please use regular mouthwash and maintain the effect of plaque control.

Thank you for the reply.

What is gingivectomy, and how long does it take? Also, is there any medicine that could help with this instead of a gingivectomy? Can it heal on its own?

#

Gingivectomy is basically the excision of excess tissue. But it is always the last resort and is done under local anesthesia. Do not worry. Scaling and curettage can produce results and could eliminate the need for gingivectomy. Unfortunately, there is no medicine to reduce enlargement. Scaling is a non-invasive procedure, and curettage may require local infiltration or maybe not.

|